Oklahoma Earthquake Politics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have already been some settlements over damage from injection wells.
Here is a sample from Arkansas.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE97R16320130828?irpc=932

Of course those are small quakes, nothing like a 6.0

I think the woman in Prague is going to win her suit or more likely reach a settlement over the 2011 quake.

I would say the other quake victims would benefit more if she doesn't settle and wins outright. That would change the dynamics, I think. Just a guess. But it's hard to turn down money.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So why are injection wells causing earthquake swarms here in Oklahoma but not in North Dakota or Texas where the drilling activity dwarfs ours here and it's the same exact practice? I guess Oklahoma has the exclusive rights to earthquake swarms. :rolleyes:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you can get a valid burn permit from the fire Marshall but if you lose control of that rubbish pile and burn down someone's house you are going to pay, permit or not.

A permit doesn't abdicate liability for damages to someone's property.
You know that.
You're just being argumentative. :)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would say the other quake victims would benefit more if she doesn't settle and wins outright. That would change the dynamics, I think. Just a guess. But it's hard to turn down money.

I'm sure the producers would do something voluntarily along the lines of OERB, but the haters seem to want to mandate it. That's not gonna fly. So what we will end up with is we will join the ranks of New York and the like. IE no drilling.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So why are injection wells causing earthquake swarms here in Oklahoma but not in North Dakota or Texas where the drilling activity dwarfs ours here and it's the same exact practice? I guess Oklahoma has the exclusive rights to earthquake swarms. :rolleyes:
Yes, I knew we would get a denier in here soon enough.

USGS lists 5 states with induced seismicity from injection wells.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/

Of course that's not what the thread is really about.

Its about oil execs and Boren leaning on the OGS to keep their mouth shut about what they know.

See OP.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you can get a valid burn permit from the fire Marshall but if you lose control of that rubbish pile and burn down someone's house you are going to pay, permit or not.

A permit doesn't abdicate liability for damages to someone's property.
You know that.
You're just being argumentative. :)

No that's exactly what I am saying. The APD & COA specifically assign the liability to the lease holder. Most of the time onshore, you have damages to tenants or adjacent land owners. Lease holders are liable for damages from negligence or prohibited occurrences. Which include loss of control of the well and/or uncontrolled or unplanned release of hydrocarbons.
Admittedly, those events are almost never as catastrophic as the Deepwater Horizon, but liability and clean up obligations are probably the same.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different geology.
If it were just exploration and production activity, the Permian Basin would be a gigantic trampoline.
Different basins (Anadarko, Arkoma, Permian, Delaware, etc.) have very different geology.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure the producers would do something voluntarily along the lines of OERB, but the haters seem to want to mandate it. That's not gonna fly. So what we will end up with is we will join the ranks of New York and the like. IE no drilling.
Personally, I think the OERB does stuff it shouldn't. If lease and damage agreements were signed and executed either the operator or the land owner should clean those sights up. If a company goes under and you signed a damage agreement and took the money it should be on you. That being said, I'm glad they (we) are doing it, some one has to. I can't see anyone jumping up to say I'll do it on the earthquakes, the liability would be crazy.

It may be a valid reason for a wellhead tax of some sort, but that sort of stuff gets crazy too. And taxing a commodity that is already diminishing in value, probably won't grow jobs.

If it comes down to a tax, I think it should be a tax off the top, affecting both royalty owners and producers.

Last edited:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read some of the remedies enacted in other states like OH.

First, they are scrupulous about not allowing injection wells near known faults.
Second, they adopted regulations that encourage recovery and reuse of waste in other wells even if they have to haul it a considerable distance.

I think we could reduce these earthquakes in OK to a fraction of what they are and they would be mostly 1s and 2s.

But we aren't going to get there by remaining in denial and gagging the scientists at the OGS.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read some of the remedies enacted in other states like OH.

First, they are scrupulous about not allowing injection wells near known faults.
Second, they adopted regulations that encourage recovery and reuse of waste in other wells even if they have to haul it a considerable distance.

I think we could reduce these earthquakes in OK to a fraction of what they are and they would be mostly 1s and 2s.

But we aren't going to get there by remaining in denial and gagging the scientists at the OGS.

I don't think anyone would take exception with either 1 or 2.
The OCC has stood in the way of #2 in the past, but, they are changing. At one time, if you pumped water from a water well drilled on location in to a rig water tank or a frac tank, it HAD to go to a disposal. Even if nothing other than non-potable water had ever been in the tank.

It's possible Ohio had the benefit of our experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom