Oklahoma Gov. Stitt won't renew hunting, fishing compacts with Cherokee, Choctaw tribes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh wow . . . nice to know that unless I fall in line I'm a village idiot . . .
I agree, this was worded a little harshly. But maybe you can explain why it is the tribes want to scream exclusion if it doesn't benefit them and in the next breath say you can't do that if your not a tribal member.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is it the tribes call foul since this deal doesn't benefit them, but I can't get tribal benefits because I'm not a card carrier? I'm not blaming them for not wanting to include everyone in their dream life, but give me a break with the complaining about being treated the same as everyone else.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking that something else is tied to the compact(s). Something probably unrelated to hunting/fishing because none of the numbers make any sense at all. Why on earth do the tribes willingly buy 200k licenses knowing they aren't selling anywhere near that many? Something's afoot....
I think the $38M figure has to be an overall economic impact figure. Even if it’s divided over the four years of the compact, that would be a huge net impact on ODWC’s annual budget.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the 38M is a made up number. It doesn't even jive with ODWCs fiscal numbers.
I don’t think it’s a made up number, it’s just poor reporting. There’s a natural assumption that they’re just talking about ODWC because the compact about license fees is the main topic of the story, but I think they’re talking about the bigger picture when they mention that $38M figure.

Basically, they’re saying Stitt is playing penny-ante on this hand, but the stakes for the whole game are much higher.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the $38M figure has to be an overall economic impact figure. Even if it’s divided over the four years of the compact, that would be a huge net impact on ODWC’s annual budget.
I can't get past the 200,000 licenses when they are only selling 3k or so. Why would the tribes do that? I mean maybe if all tribes could purchase them I could see how maybe that would come at least into the same universe. Maybe.

My Ex's tribe has to provide services for all Oklahoma tribes due to federal grants, so if it's something along those lines maybe the number of licenses makes some sense. Especially if it's like you said earlier and it's actually an "up to" total.

If I'm missing something so be it, but this just doesn't seem anywhere near a possible reality and it makes it really hard to decide which side is right.

ETA: A bit more light here:

The landmark compacts were the first state-tribal agreements of their kind in the country and captured millions of federal dollars for wildlife management. Over their lifetime, the Cherokee compact generated more than $32 million and the Choctaw compact accounted for $6 million. The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation dedicates that funding for wildlife management planning and operations, law enforcement and conservation efforts, benefiting Natives and non-natives alike.

Five tribes issue statement

Last edited:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is it the tribes call foul since this deal doesn't benefit them.

This not getting signed is such a much larger issue than the benefits derived from it in my opinion. Tribal leaders are calling Stitt out for not renewing something that benefitted tribal members (and others around the state).

You don't understand how tribes and tribal members have benefitted from this compact? Tribal members who do NOT live within tribal jurisdictional boundaries benefitted greatly. As I'd suspect did local businesses where they bought hunting/fishing related gear.

but I can't get tribal benefits because I'm not a card carrier?

This is a completely different discussion. And really, isn't related to the compacts in my opinion.

I'm not blaming them for not wanting to include everyone in their dream life

What?

but give me a break with the complaining about being treated the same as everyone else.

Again, tribal leaders are calling Stitt out for not renewing something that not only benefitted tribal members (and others around the state), but also benefitted ODWC. I don't feel that I'm being treated differently or worse than others who aren't tribal members.

I don't need the licenses that I was given as part of this compact, but it was a nice bonus while it lasted.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't get past the 200,000 licenses when they are only selling 3k or so. Why would the tribes do that? I mean maybe if all tribes could purchase them I could see how maybe that would come at least into the same universe. Maybe.

My Ex's tribe has to provide services for all Oklahoma tribes due to federal grants, so if it's something along those lines maybe the number of licenses makes some sense. Especially if it's like you said earlier and it's actually an "up to" total.

If I'm missing something so be it, but this just doesn't seem anywhere near a possible reality and it makes it really hard to decide which side is right.

ETA: A bit more light here:
When I got my license from the Cherokee Nation it wasn't sold to me . . . I had to submit a request to get it. Same for when I submitted requests to the Choctaw Nation for my wife and daughters' licenses. I'd imagine the tribes agreed to help fund the compact by contributing a minimum amount via grants, etc. The tribes aren't actually selling them to members at a discounted rate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom