Oklahoma Gun Registry (Reporting) Limit on Purchases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just found out if you buy more than two pistols in Oklahoma within 2 weeks you get reported to the ATF. Not sure when/if you fall off. We already know they're keeping an illegal gun registry, but dang two gun limit? That's strangling the snake a little hard, even for them. Guess I'll be picking up the next one in two weeks.
On the up side, I got my new toys.I'll post pics in another post.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you purchase more than 2 the FFL holder has to fill out another form, But i thought it was just on pistols not long guns but been wrong before and could be now aswell. I have only done it once that i can remember but could have been more, the one i remember i had to take one of the guns back to my FFL cause the ATF had no record the company ever existed so had to take a photo and summit it, it was made by a company out of Gremany years and years ago.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ATF has long required FFLs to report sales of handguns to individuals if they bought more than 1 handgun in 5 consecutive business days from the same dealer. If you bought 1 from dealer "A" and one from dealer "B" there is no requirement to report.

Some time ago they expanded the reporting requirement of certain long guns in CA, AZ, NM and TX.

Why not just go to the source so bad information isn't being passed around?

From the ATF website:

Individual Sales​

Under federal law, there are no recordkeeping requirements for transferring a firearm between two individuals who are not federal firearms licensees. However, there are individuals who cannot purchase or possess a firearm known as prohibited persons. As a seller, you should make every effort to ensure you are not transferring a firearm to a prohibited person.

Sales of Handguns​

Licensees must report the sale of two or more handguns if they occur at the same time or within five consecutive business days of each other.

Reporting Process for Pistols and Revolvers​

1. Fill out three copies of ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers.
  2. Send the first copy to the ATF National Tracing Center no later than the close of business on the day that the multiple sale or other disposition occurs. Send by fax at 1-877-283-0288, email [email protected](link sends e-mail), or mailto:
    U.S. Department of Justice
    NTC - MS
    P.O. Box 0279
    Kearneysville, WV 25430–0279
  3. Send the second copy to the Chief Local Law Enforcement Official (CLEO). The CLEO is a local or state official designated to receive this form. If you do not know your CLEO, contact your local ATF office to find out.
  4. Attach the third copy to the corresponding Firearms Transaction Record ATF Form 4473, executed upon delivery of the pistols or revolvers [Regulation 478.126a]

Sales of Rifles​

In 2011, ATF was authorized to enforce multiple firearms sales for certain types of rifles from FFLs in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

FFLs in these states must report the following types of rifles:

• Semiautomatic rifles
  • Rifles with a caliber greater than .22 (including .223 or 5.56 mm)
  • Rifles with the ability to accept detachable magazines

Reporting Process for Rifles​

1. Fill out two copies of the ATF Form 3310.12, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Certain Rifles.
  2. Send the first copy to ATF’s National Tracing Center by fax at 1-877-283-0288, email [email protected](link sends e-mail), or mail to:
    U.S. Department of Justice
    NTC
    P.O. Box 0279
    Kearneysville, WV 25430-0279
  3. ATF recommends that the licensee retains the second copy and attaches it to the back of the Firearms Transaction Record ATF Form 4473 that covers the transfer of the firearms.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dealers had 24 hours to report the sale of multiple handguns to the ATF. There was a copy for the local chief law enforcement officer but most states had no reporting requirement.

In Colorado when I had my shop I just faxed the form to the ATF as required. The sheriff didn't care.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And my understanding was that it was reported to the sheriff.
As noted above, any purchase/transfer of two or more handguns within any five consecutive business days from the same dealer/retailer must be reported to the ATF and to the primary local law enforcement agency (in Oklahoma, the county sheriff's dept.).

Latest posts

Top Bottom