Oklahoma is selling about 55 buffalo on its state surplus property site.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a great respect for the Native Americans' ability to take down large animals with primitive weapons such as a lance and/or bow.

Not to mention surviving 24/7/365 with no other amenities than what was provided by nature. :drunk2:

Early man was pretty smart. They had to be in order to survive. Lance/spears weren't near as common of a weapon as Hollywood leads people to believe, many were used as status symbols. The atlatl was probably the most devastating weapon that they used, yet you never hear a mention of it in the movies. They just aren't as sexy. We know that they were using the atlatl as far back as 12,000 years ago; it's likely that's what the smaller Folsom and perhaps even Clovis points were used for. The bow and arrow has only been in the picture for the past 1,600-1,700 years or so on this continent. We have the oldest bow and arrow set that I'm aware of on display in the museum. It floored me when the AMS radiocarbon dates came back at 1,600!

Sorry, rambling. Back to buffler. While they did use bison jumps frequently in western Oklahoma and out west, they would take advantage of natural scenarios just as much. They would catch them bogged down in places where they couldn't maneuver well (like the Arkansas or Canadian Rivers) and dispatch of them. They are huge, lumbering beasts, but if they have no mobility they aren't as much of a threat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom