Oklahoma knife laws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SB 1159 (effective November 1, 2016) amends Title 21 O.S. Section 1272 to remove ‘dagger’, ‘bowie knife’, ‘dirk knife’, and ‘sword cane’ from the list of prohibited weapons

so its basically its my right to carry a bowie knife or a dagger now ? concealed and unconcealed. is there no limit on length? and do i have to have a purpose? what if i want to carry around a rambo style survival bowie knife just cause or have some kind of dagger for use as a tool and if need be self defense?

its really not clear what the oklahoma knife laws are to me anymore. i mean is it legal to carry a butterfly/balisong knife, or is it legal to carry a out the front button release gravity knife like the german paratrooper style ones? i mean they have had so many changes to state knife laws im not even sure what it is anymore.

used to you could carry a folding knife up to 4" in blade length but it was under the understanding it is to be used as a "tool" given the fact anything carried as a weapon is illegal due to the wording as my understanding, well.

when the hell is some one going to have a purpose or reason for carrying a sword cane and when the hell is a appropriate time if it is not classified as a weapon?

i mean honestly when does the definition of dagger end and become a short sword without a hilt? its so confusing. hell i just want to know if i will get in trouble for carrying around whatever kind of knife i want which would most likely be a bowie or dagger or some kind of survival knife or balisong or a really big folder.

im under the impression its all legal now?

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SB 1159 (effective November 1, 2016) amends Title 21 O.S. Section 1272 to remove ‘dagger’, ‘bowie knife’, ‘dirk knife’, and ‘sword cane’ from the list of prohibited weapons

so its basically its my right to carry a bowie knife or a dagger now ? concealed and unconcealed. is there no limit on length? and do i have to have a purpose? what if i want to carry around a rambo style survival bowie knife just cause or have some kind of dagger for use as a tool and if need be self defense?

its really not clear what the oklahoma knife laws are to me anymore. i mean is it legal to carry a butterfly/balisong knife, or is it legal to carry a out the front button release gravity knife like the german paratrooper style ones? i mean they have had so many changes to state knife laws im not even sure what it is anymore.

used to you could carry a folding knife up to 4" in blade length but it was under the understanding it is to be used as a "tool" given the fact anything carried as a weapon is illegal due to the wording as my understanding, well.

when the hell is some one going to have a purpose or reason for carrying a sword cane and when the hell is a appropriate time if it is not classified as a weapon?

i mean honestly when does the definition of dagger end and become a short sword without a hilt? its so confusing. hell i just want to know if i will get in trouble for carrying around whatever kind of knife i want which would most likely be a bowie or dagger or some kind of survival knife or balisong or a really big folder.

im under the impression its all legal now?

So, it looks like Automatic Knives are still prohibited for carry. My Wife, now a Retired RN and ex-USN Corpswave, frequently carries a Benchmade Balisong that I manage to cut myself with every time I touch it, and a Walter PPK. I’d like to see Automatic Knives legalized because they are convenient and can be opened one handed. I am physically impaired with no use of my two wrists and my right elbow is locked at 90 Degrees. I get in a bind sometimes and an Automatic Knife comes in handy. Oklahoma Knife Law is confusing because after it describes the illegal weapons it ambiguously states that the law in no way is intended to prohibit the use of knives for sporting, or other normal uses (or something to that effect). Truthfully, almost any object can become a ‘Weapon per se’. As a Reserve Deputy, 30 yrs ago I occasionally got assigned to work Dispatch/Jailor in our Country Jail. I’ve seen some ugly weapons made from toothbrushes. The vast majority of our citizens are decent, honest people. It doesn’t matter what they’re carrying around (as far as I’m concerned) which includes Sword Canes, or an armed Apache Helicopter flying over a full Baseball Stadium. Always stay alert and aware of your surroundings because, like a hidden clause in a business contract, it’s what you don’t see that might get you.
Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, it looks like Automatic Knives are still prohibited for carry. My Wife, now a Retired RN and ex-USN Corpswave, frequently carries a Benchmade Balisong that I manage to cut myself with every time I touch it, and a Walter PPK. I’d like to see Automatic Knives legalized because they are convenient and can be opened one handed. I am physically impaired with no use of my two wrists and my right elbow is locked at 90 Degrees. I get in a bind sometimes and an Automatic Knife comes in handy. Oklahoma Knife Law is confusing because after it describes the illegal weapons it ambiguously states that the law in no way is intended to prohibit the use of knives for sporting, or other normal uses (or something to that effect). Truthfully, almost any object can become a ‘Weapon per se’. As a Reserve Deputy, 30 yrs ago I occasionally got assigned to work Dispatch/Jailor in our Country Jail. I’ve seen some ugly weapons made from toothbrushes. The vast majority of our citizens are decent, honest people. It doesn’t matter what they’re carrying around (as far as I’m concerned) which includes Sword Canes, or an armed Apache Helicopter flying over a full Baseball Stadium. Always stay alert and aware of your surroundings because, like a hidden clause in a business contract, it’s what you don’t see that might get you.
Semper Fi
Automatic knives became legal on 1 Nov 2015, pursuant to HB1911 (2015 Regular Session), signed by the governor on 28 Apr 2015. The bill as enrolled: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 ENR/hB/HB1911 ENR.PDF . Note the strikethrough in 21 O.S. 1272 (A).

On 5 May 2015, she signed HB1460 (again, 2015 Regular Session), amending 21 O.S. 1289.24 (A) to add knives (note the underline) to state preemption on the subject, prohibiting municipalities or other political subdivisions from enacting further restrictions. Again, effective 1 Nov 2015. The bill as enrolled: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 ENR/hB/HB1911 ENR.PDF .

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Automatic knives became legal on 1 Nov 2015, pursuant to HB1911 (2015 Regular Session), signed by the governor on 28 Apr 2015. The bill as enrolled: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 ENR/hB/HB1911 ENR.PDF . Note the strikethrough in 21 O.S. 1272 (A).

On 5 May 2015, she signed HB1460 (again, 2015 Regular Session), amending 21 O.S. 1289.24 (A) to add knives (note the underline) to state preemption on the subject, prohibiting municipalities or other political subdivisions from enacting further restrictions. Again, effective 1 Nov 2015. The bill as enrolled: http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 ENR/hB/HB1911 ENR.PDF .

Thanks Dave. I missed that one. It would seem a little ironic if one might legally carry a pistol and not some particular class of knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I missed that one. It would seem a little ironic if one might legally carry a pistol and not some particular class of knife.
To find it, you had to know that it was explicitly repealed. You're interpretation that anything could be interpreted to be an "offensive weapon" is correct; in this case, the fact that switchblades were listed explicitly, then that provision stricken, demonstrates clear and unambiguous legislative intent to remove the prohibition on switchblades, which overrides the ambiguity of "offensive weapon." I had to go to Google to find a bill number, then go to the legislature's site to look up the bill (I could have gone to OSCN and looked at all of the previous versions of 1272, but that would have been time-consuming).

Good read; I just happened to remember that this had previously been addressed.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The women that are jogging alone should carry a very sharp switchblade in their hand as they run, it could save their life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom