Oklahoma law change would let 18-year-olds buy a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does this make me feel a certain way, yes… but then again my feelings shouldn’t trump a constitutional right. The days of middle ground are dead, buried, and rotten so we can’t give any wiggle room on things like this unfortunately. You basically back it all, or you back nothing. I’d especially like younger folks to have training and whatnot, but the second you implement rules it gets ugly.
In an ideal world I think most things should be pushed off until at least 21, seeing as brain development isn’t near done at that point.. but how else can we exploit our youth in so many different ways if we can’t get them early!

Last edited:

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't it a federal law you must be 21 to buy a handgun which I believe it is, then the state passing a law making 18 the legal age would carry no weight. No FFL license holder is going to risk his license just cause the state said he could.
You can carry, but still can’t buy. It would have to be given by a relative to be legal. Some would say an 18 year old could buy from an unknowing private party, but that would be illegal.. technically.

grizzlywinmag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless of voting age or military service, the 2nd Amendment doesn't have any age limitations.
BTW, I've carried concealed since I was 17. My 1st carry piece was a Star PD .45 Auto.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t remember Penneys’ having guns. Clothing store is all I remember. Yes, Skaggs at 21 st & Memorial.
Penney's, monkey wards and sears all sold guns. My first .410 pump shotgun, a high standard, i bought at Montgomery wards, 1973.
16700915739617595354717966071270.jpg
16700916365567961087747337726819.jpg

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can carry, but still can’t buy. It would have to be given by a relative to be legal. Some would say an 18 year old could buy from an unknowing private party, but that would be illegal.. technically.

That is incorrect.

An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same state, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. A federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.
There may be state or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...ars-age-acquire-handgun-unlicensed-individual

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to get my dad to come with me to fill out the paperwork, when I‘d saved the money for a Ruger MK I target pistol. Skaggs Albertsons. I was 19, had quit college, moved out into an apartment, started my work career. Happy to be on my own. Went to Looboyles sporting goods store the day I turned 21, bought a S&W model 19 6” barrel, blued steel .357 Magnum . So proud of it. Around 1978, started a never ending journey of dry firing, plinking, competing, trying to improve. Funds available will affect 18 year olds ability to enter the gun culture. Don’t really remember the price of that first new .22 pistol, but seems like it was $129.-149. Had to plan, save for a while to swing that.
$39.00 from Sears catalog +$3.00 shipping and was mailed to my house.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is incorrect.

An individual between 18 and 21 years of age may acquire a handgun from an unlicensed individual who resides in the same state, provided the person acquiring the handgun is not otherwise prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under federal law. A federal firearms licensee may not, however, sell or deliver a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under 21 years of age.
There may be state or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1)]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may...ars-age-acquire-handgun-unlicensed-individual

Acquire and buy are very different words which is why I said what I did as it’s not explicitly stated anywhere that you can BUY/SELL handguns at 18 legally. I’ll agree that it doesn’t make it illegal, so I was wrong to say that, but it’s a gray area at best. The 3 letter folks use their language specifically. This loose language, as usual, leaves a lot of things up to interpretation. I wouldn’t advocate for being the one who finds out for sure the hard way, ymmv.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Acquire and buy are very different words which is why I said what I did as it’s not explicitly stated anywhere that you can BUY/SELL handguns at 18 legally. I’ll agree that it doesn’t make it illegal, so I was wrong to say that, but it’s a gray area at best. The 3 letter folks use their language specifically. This loose language, as usual, leaves a lot of things up to interpretation. I wouldn’t advocate for being the one who finds out for sure the hard way, ymmv.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/minimum-age-gun-sales-and-transfers

Minimum Age for Gun Sales and Transfers*​

Unlicensed Persons

• Handguns: Under federal law, unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under the age of 18, except under certain exceptions.**
  • Long Guns: There are no federal laws preventing unlicensed persons from selling, delivering or otherwise transferring a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age.

Latest posts

Top Bottom