Oklahoma man on motorcycle died after hitting a deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That isn't good.

About 22 years ago, I hit a deer while I was riding a motorcycle. It was a fully dressed out 78 Honda Goldwing, so I think the size was to my advantage.
I should have left my parents place sooner, but you know the drill.
I was about 30 or 35 minutes from home & it was about 10 to 15 minutes from dusk,
I came over the top of a slight hill & saw 3 does crossing the road near the bottom, so I let off the gas. About half way down the hill I noticed the (about) 8 point buck several body lengths behind the does. He never even sees me.
When I realized what might happen, I hit the brakes, then I realize what is going to happen, I hit both brakes & locked up the rear tire.
I hit that buck right in the middle of his body, right in the middle of the lane of road.
When everything came to rest, I was laying in the middle of the road, the bike was a few feet away on the side of the road, & the deer was about 25 feet ahead in the middle of the road.
I stood up, looked things over, & about that time the deer stood up, did a neck adjustment & ran off.
At least I walked or hobbled away from it & some good samaritans helped me out till my parents got to me with a trailer to put the bike on.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't like these threads as I just got a bike.

I would avoid dusk/dawn, especially down there. Wouldn't think about 430pm though. I wonder if speed was a factor. In many of these crashes I see and read about, biker at least contributes a lack of judgement. Deer though can happen in a blink.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since moving back to Oklahoma about 20 years ago. I have managed to take out half dozen Squirrels, a quail, a turkey, and a Dalmatian. Had some close calls with Deer. Luckily been able to miss them so far. We see this every year, mostly in the fall. Sometimes it's just your turn.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My closest call on hitting a deer was a large buck that passed within inches of me 1 mile south of Sooner Fashion Mall in Norman. I have ridden thousands of miles in the dark thru Colorado and Montana but almost got taken out by a town deer.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't like these threads as I just got a bike.

Deer though can happen in a blink.
I caught sight of one in front of me late in 2020 on the way to work one morning(just south of collinsville on the highway). The deer came out from behind the overpass support on a dead run and jumped the guard wires where I caught it dead center in the air. For some reason the battery in mine was dead that morning and I jumped into the half ton.
A73A627F-B412-4105-9246-31DB98933F83.png

I had enough time to move a knee up to steady the wheel and pull my arms back in case the airbag fired.
Bang, and a bit of a thud as it went under the front axle.
How big was it?
Smear and chunks were spread out probably 3 car lengths.
Took the day off work, replaced battery and rode to work the next day on the goldwing.
Keep your eyes open, enjoy the ride.
When time is up it’s up don’t worry about it much till then.

I put one of those ranch hand bumpers on and haven’t seen a deer since when driving it (and I been lookin for some payback)

Wing stuff doesn’t have anything close that I have seen for the bike unfortunately.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave up riding a couple of years ago. Not by choice. I sold my Harley to pay for the young ones braces. Just cant afford to replace the Motorcycle yet. Hitting a deer was always a very real fear of mine. Ive seen what they do to vehicles. A motorcycle hitting one would be bad news.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you know a doe will fit perfectly in the grill of a 1973 Ford Ranchero? It will at 65 MPH.

I actually helped OHP work a deer v motorcycle, You couldn't tell where man ended and deer started.
Then three days later we found the unknown to us passenger wandering the river bottom next to the accident scene still in a stupor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom