Oklahoma Senate Passes Tax Hike on Oil and Gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've got to love the liberal spin.

The Morning Bell: Teachers left with 'broken promise' following House vote

A package of tax increases that would have mostly filled the state's budget hole and also provided a $3,000 pay raise for teachers failed in the House yesterday.

House Bill 1054 did not receive the 76 votes required by the state constitution for a tax hike to advance. Its failure left lawmakers without any clear plans to fill the bulk of a $215 million shortfall that threatens critical social service programs.

The vote brought immediate rebuke from many education groups across the state.

“Today’s defeat of HB 1054x is a huge blow for Oklahoma’s dedicated teachers, public servants and the citizens of our state," said Pam Deering, executive director of the Cooperative Council for Oklahoma School Administration.

"Once again, political gamesmanship and partisan politics have won the day at the expense of Oklahoma children and families," said Shawn Hime, executive director of the Oklahoma State School Boards Association. "Holding out for a perfect plan when a strong compromise is on the table is incredibly short-sighted."

“Our teachers are once again left with a broken promise from politicians who care more about protecting powerful special interests than doing what’s right to put Oklahoma on a better path," said Amber England, executive director of Stand for Children Oklahoma.

http://newsok.com/the-morning-bell-...-promise-following-house-vote/article/5571437

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something definitely has got to change. Giving politicians more of are hard-earned money is like giving crack to a crack addict. They'll only soon come back for more.

I'm all for auditing the state agencies. There is absolutely no reason this state should be in a $660 million dollar shortfall. Nor should the OTA but in arrears for nearly $800 million dollars. Call me crazy, but I think something smells in fishy town.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What gets me is the oil and gas fat cats whine about paying 4% instead of 2%...they come to where the oil is idiots...the oil is here.

I was listening to Pat Campbell yesterday while he interviewed Nathan Dahm about this gross production tax increase. Basically it impacts only drilling new wells and not existing wells. So you have people like billionaire Kaiser pushing for this tax increase because they don't drill new wells, but have existing wells that are not impacted.
What this tax increase will do is stop new drilling in Oklahoma and what tax revenue they have now will go away. The E&P companies have already stated they would stop drilling in Oklahoma if there is a tax increase. This is not a threat, but reality because if these taxes are increased, these companies will be below break-even and would lose money with every new well.

State Sen. Nathan Dahm on Biggest Tax Raise In State History http://www.1170kfaq.com/shows/pat-c...an-dahm-on-biggest-tax-raise-in-state-history

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would agree that an audit needs to take place and those responsible for mismanaging our tax dollars should be held accountable. That being said, I would also argue that if drillers are running their operating expenses within 2% of their revenue stream ("This is not a threat, but reality because if these taxes are increased, these companies will be below break-even and would lose money with every new well.") they are already under water and it's not a business model tat ANY company would support.

So all in all...Everyone is lying and we are paying the price for it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,...they should start by cutting the fat,...Like cutting their pay in half, or more !!!.....for starters, ...next, put on notice all state employees, guess what....no pay raises, (exclude LEO's Fire, Teachers) ... pensions ...start a 401 ... All these political hacks (staff) that work for you, cut them numbers in half also, most are relatives who do nothing anyhow.....NO more tax dollars for extra crap that furthers their political careers. Remember ....They are "suppose" to be doing this for the state, you know civic pride.... to many make a career from it.
You really dont have a clue.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What this tax increase will do is stop new drilling in Oklahoma and what tax revenue they have now will go away. The E&P companies have already stated they would stop drilling in Oklahoma if there is a tax increase.
I'm not buying it, it's an empty threat.

Do Gold, Silver, Platinum, and Diamond mines cease production when they have to pay for new regs and guidelines? Absolutely not. They adjust their business model and pass the cost on to the consumer.

That's what the oil industry will do and unfortunately we'll pay for it in higher gas prices.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not buying it, it's an empty threat.

Do Gold, Silver, Platinum, and Diamond mines cease production when they have to pay for new regs and guidelines? Absolutely not. They adjust their business model and pass the cost on to the consumer.

That's what the oil industry will do and unfortunately we'll pay for it in higher gas prices.

Oh, they will not stop drilling in general. They will go to a different state to drill and the tax revenue that was being collected in Oklahoma will go with them. If it becomes uneconomical to drill in Oklahoma, they will move.

It's a little different than your example because the oil and gas is everywhere, not just Oklahoma. These drillers are not held captive to Oklahoma like gold veins that run through the mountains of Colorado.

Latest posts

Top Bottom