Oklahoma senator files bill to ban paper straws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/oklahoma-senator-files-bill-to-ban-paper-straws

TULSA, Okla. — In honor of Earth Day yesterday, Senator Nathan Dahm, R-Broken Arrow, filed Senate Bill 1065 to ban paper straws in the state of Oklahoma.

“You have states, like California, where the leftist loons have banned plastic straws because they saw a video on social media about a sea turtle that was harmed by ingesting a straw,” Dahm said. “So, under the guise of helping the planet, they’ve banned plastic straws, resulting in who knows how many trees now being cut down to make paper straws.”

Under the bill, if passed, any licensed food establishment in the state of Oklahoma that provides a customer with a straw cannot distribute straws made of non-plastic materials, including paper or pasta.

“Hatred of paper straws is nearly universal,” Dahm said. “I’ve never met a single person who enjoys using a paper straw. They fall apart and turn to mush quicker than Joe Biden trying to string together a coherent sentence.”

Since the bill was filed after the filing deadline, the measure can only receive a hearing as a committee bill or it can be refiled ahead of next year’s session.

“Some may think this bill is silly, and I certainly would prefer if we just legalized freedom and pursued an actual free market,” Dahm said. “But as long as there are those interfering in the market with things like plastic straw bans, I’ll engage in any way possible to expose and counter those regulatory schemes.”

While some may not find the seriousness in this issue, Dahm said plastic straws should actually be celebrated.

“In all seriousness, plastics and petrochemicals have changed our planet for the better. Many people don’t realize the plastic they use every day is a byproduct of our oil and gas industry," Dahm said. "When we talk about Earth Day, we should be celebrating the industry that fuels our cars, heats and cools our homes, has advanced farming and food production and helped raise the standard of living for people across the planet.”

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't a giant concern for me.

I think it's a tongue-in-cheek protest against faux do-gooders who are grandstanding their virtue.

C.S. Lewis:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's a tongue-in-cheek protest against faux do-gooders who are grandstanding their virtue.

C.S. Lewis:

Yeah I fell out before it sunk in. Like I've said before, with all the stupid sh** people do nowadays, it's not hard for me to believe about anything.. lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve posted this before, but a year ago we ate at Perls seafood restaurant in OKC.
Big sign on the wall stating no more straws to save the sea turtles.
A month later we were at the South Padre sea turtle rescue center where sea turtles that are injured or sick are brought in for treatment. You can actually watch them do surgery through a window.
At the snack bar we ordered soft drinks. Came out with plastic straws. I asked one of the technicians about the plastic straw danger. All I got was an eye roll.

Latest posts

Top Bottom