1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Oklahoma sheriff and all of her deputies resign in protest over dangerous jail conditions

Discussion in 'News Links' started by NightShade, Mar 20, 2019.

1. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...es-resign-protest-over-dangerous-jail-n985366

Not sure how many saw this but I figured I would post it.

For those interested in the resignation letter.

[​IMG]

2. KOPBET

KOPBET Sharpshooter

I guess she's in contempt...

3. SMS

SMS Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    They just accepted her resignation and appointed a new sheriff. Never underestimate rural Oklahoma government’s ability to sweep crap under the rug lol.

filbert and Rooster1971 like this.
  4. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Calls to DEQ, State Fire Marshal, State Health Department and possibly OSHA might get a higher priority to getting things fixed.

5. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I was hoping you would say something because I was wondering why she didn't go that route instead of resigning. Grandstanding perhaps?

6. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    No clue, could be some sort of grandstanding to bring the problem to the public's attention. I do know that the same judge tried to rescind her resignation. Either way the place is not safe and someone will be taking a look at it whether the county likes it or not. I would also suspect that the sheriff may be re-elected and the judge may not.

7. Rooster1971

Rooster1971 Sharpshooter

It’s not just rural Oklahoma. I’m hoping you haven’t had the pleasure of staying in Ok county. It is the worst place I’ve ever been. Water dripping down the walls, mold, freezing cold, lack of mattresses, and that’s just if you kept to yourself. I’m not sure how it’s possible to make food so gross if you tried.
    The holding cell had the toilet overflowing and smelling like sewage. Seemed like something you’d envision in somewhere like a 3rd world country.

Historically there have been bad staph infections and inmate beatings and deaths. I’m sure if you had to spend any significant amount time there, you’d feel lucky to make it out alive.

I’m sure some will say jail shouldn’t be comfortable, but a lot of the people have not even been to trial or if they have seen a judge not convicted yet.

8. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Perhaps you might not have an idea about HOW long it takes OSHA to respond?

9. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'm not saying to just wait on OSHA . That was one option fyrtwuck gave. Matter of fact that was the least option he gave. Surely someone in this state has the authority to keep the jail shutdown until it's safe without anybody needing to resign or get held in contempt.

10. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You can bet yer sweet ass the county commissioners have the roads to their houses paved though. Just sayin.

filbert and Neckbeard like this.