Oklahoma shooting laws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey OP,
Glad you got out of that commie wonderland in one piece. I used to live in Gore and we had 5 acres of wooded land. We used to shoot out back all the time and never had an issue. Still in OK but don't have that luxury where I'm ay now. But that's OK too because there ranges pretty much everywhere around here. Even if you can't build a range on your own land you will be able to find someplace to shoot within a reasonable drive of your home.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AFAIK, there are no state- or county-level laws in Oklahoma regarding target shooting on your own property (hunting and self defense are another matter), just city ordinances. And, as Uncle TK noted, pretty much everything from Norman to Edmond in central Oklahoma is inside some city's limits because a bunch of cities went on an annexation tear back in the '60s (mostly, I think, to block Oklahoma City's expansion).

There are General public safety laws that Leo can invoke if they want to get nasty even though in the country like too close to the public roads, etc. There is also a noise ordinance that gun ranges have to look out for that is in state code.
I’ve researched those in the past and posted them but I don’t have access to them at the moment. The noise law/level is typically mitigated by berms.
Tony Cane had hell with a neighbor that tried to shut him down.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think outside of city limits you can shoot on your property and another property with permission. However, there are conditions that could exist where a judge would rule you CANNOT shoot on your own property outside of city limits. It falls into safety and are you making too much noise according to county laws and your neighbors can also weigh in on it. So regarding shooting outside city limits the answer is it depends. And you could build a range and be alright for a number of years and then have trouble and ruled you could no longer shoot. That is what happened to a range north of Owasso a few years ago.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the abstract. The lawyer reading the abstract before you close can tell you if anythings in there.
I've got a place (5.5 acres) that the abstract says shotgun only.
Not really enforced too much, on the occasional Bang. I hear quite often.
I imagine a Ratta-Tat-Tat and you would have somebody coming out (sheriff).

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i think outside of city limits you can shoot on your property and another property with permission. However, there are conditions that could exist where a judge would rule you CANNOT shoot on your own property outside of city limits. It falls into safety and are you making too much noise according to county laws and your neighbors can also weigh in on it. So regarding shooting outside city limits the answer is it depends. And you could build a range and be alright for a number of years and then have trouble and ruled you could no longer shoot. That is what happened to a range north of Owasso a few years ago.

That range was shut down by a now retired rogers county judge.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where can I go to find shoot zones and/or regulations pertaining to where one can legally shoot on their own property?

Where were from in CA you absolutely cannot shoot in city limits no matter how open your land might be. Even if you live on acreage in the county, outside of city limits, it’s fairly heavily regulated. You will likely get a visit from the local deputy.

Looking for a homestead here one of the primary things we’re looking for is to have a range on our own land, I just want to make sure that I will be able to shoot on the land we buy.

Thanks all!
If you live in New Cordell, you shouldn't have a whole lot of trouble finding land for sale. The only issues then are price and location. I have 80 acres about half a mile from my house, and so there is no problem shooting for me. I have put a nice pistol range in and I can also shoot rifles there.

Go to real estate/auction places, keep looking. You'll find something.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom