Oklahoma snows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskanOkie

New to the site!
Reaction score
Just discovered this forum, lots of good info and hunting reports. Just got back from an epic North Dakota pheasant/duck/goose combo… while shootin roosters will always be my favorite, I forgot how much I enjoyed hunting geese, especially snows. The only snows I ever shot I was just a kid up in AK.

I’ve heard there’s good numbers throughout OK, just haven’t been able to figure out where or when. My sons finally old enough to really want to hunt, so I’m determined to make it happen. If anyone wants to give it hell, I’ll invest in a good decoy spread, I just lack the time to do the scouting necessary to get on em, I’d end up with a field full of deecs and empty skies hoping for the best.

Early spring Colgs season, no plug and no limit sounds like a blast. I’ve heard pheasant are hard to find here so I’ve never tried, but I’d be all for it. Been in OK for >10 years and have only archery deer hunted. Time to get back into birds.

If nothing else, any tips would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 2AF7F2C2-1ACE-4ADB-91D2-496362CBF846.jpeg
    2AF7F2C2-1ACE-4ADB-91D2-496362CBF846.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 33907E88-CFBD-4AF7-88CA-3FB068B91070.jpeg
    33907E88-CFBD-4AF7-88CA-3FB068B91070.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 02CE30FA-0331-48AF-B2BB-423B084B191F.jpeg
    02CE30FA-0331-48AF-B2BB-423B084B191F.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • CFB890EF-B645-4D57-9B7F-6FC2E05233AB.jpeg
    CFB890EF-B645-4D57-9B7F-6FC2E05233AB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Your best best for a CLG hunt is with a guide. Our little waterfowl and deer secret has gotten out. The outfitters have leased up a lot of the good land. Still not impossible to put together an incredible hunt with some windshield time and patience. Here’s a pic of my son and his crew from a couple years ago. Let’s just say you could see the water tower of a metro suburb.
3A90020E-04C3-4AE8-8CE3-C2F0E42CABA9.jpeg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't shot a goose since I guided south of Houston.
Man, the memories. Would love to get in on a good deed set up and burn some shells.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thousands used to fly into foss lake but the landowners found out they could lease the hunting and its hard to find a place now that's not leased up. still, there's some around check out Chickasha Lake it used to be good. I've got a piece of land down by wannette and from the sound of the shooting they're tearing them up around there. maybe wes watkins? or you might get in the river down at soggy bottom south of wanette and setup.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not much snow goose action in Oklahoma as mentioned. I'm sure there are some small pockets here and there but I wouldn't drop the 15+k in decoys its gonna take to have any real shot of luring spring snows to you!

For the average hunter.........If you really want to do a spring snow goose hunt over dekes the only way to go is hire a guide, due to the cost and shear amount of decoys it takes to successfully hunt spring snows its honestly CHEAPER!!. If you can hunt 15-30 days a year OR do guiding yourself then buying a trailer and spread is the way to go!

I personally hunt spring snows in Nebraska and Iowa and jump them. However in the past I have been fortunate enough to know some guides as friends and they have taken me out when they have no clients. Just an FYI, if you do hire a guide and go over dekes DO NOT expect a 100 bird day. Yes those happen, but unless you catch it just right I'd say the average day in a decoy field is 15-20 birds.

Dillon157

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to be discouraging but goose hunting in general tends to be pretty rough in Oklahoma.

One of my hunting buddies got a banded goose towards the end of this duck season. We were really excited about it until it turned out that it was banded about 2 years prior and only about 2 miles away from where it was shot. 😂

Doesn’t seem like they’re migrating over Oklahoma so much as just… living here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom