Oklahoma State Fair / Concealed Carry Prohibited

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has been annual discussions as to why the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds are posted off limits to concealed carry permit holders, since TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES reads-

UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:

4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds;

Well, I contacted the Fair Grounds Administration and got a answer back explaining it. Here is the E-mail I received today.
-----------------------

Good Afternoon. As you can see, your recent e-mail has been forwarded to me for a response. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it’s a very busy time for us. We appreciate your inquiry. Please be advised that the Oklahoma State Fair Inc., is a private not for profit entity, not a government authority, which operates the premises and conducts the annual Oklahoma State Fair. OSF’s policy of no weapons, as posted on the entry gates, applies during the annual Oklahoma State Fair when the gates are locked and entrance admission is charged and OSF has exclusive possession of the property. Our policies have been reviewed by our attorneys and are consistent with the Oklahoma statutes. Feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions or comments.

Take care.

J. Scott Munz
Vice President
Marketing & Public Relations

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
well then at least we know there won't be any shootings out there this year, I'm sure all the criminals who might carry will read the signs and leave the guns in the car. I feel safer already.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well then at least we know there won't be any shootings out there this year, I'm sure all the criminals who might carry will read the signs and leave the guns in the car. I feel safer already.

The thing is, if you got caught conceal carrying this year... you could be charged with tresspass. But next year under the new law the way it is written, the park would have to tell you to leave first.. and if you refused to do so immediately, then you could be charged with tresspass.

Not worth risking having my permit suspended and / or fined. But next year it will definitely be concealed carry at the fair grounds.. and if it is discovered, I will leave right away if asked to do so.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere in state law that provides for a suspension of your handgun permit for the offense of simple trespass. Am I missing something?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing is, if you got caught conceal carrying this year... you could be charged with tresspass. But next year under the new law the way it is written, the park would have to tell you to leave first.. and if you refused to do so immediately, then you could be charged with tresspass.

Not worth risking having my permit suspended and / or fined. But next year it will definitely be concealed carry at the fair grounds.. and if it is discovered, I will leave right away if asked to do so.

Can you point you the section of new law where the law on trespass has changed. I don't remember seeing anything about this. Just trying to stay on top of it all like many others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has been annual discussions as to why the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds are posted off limits to concealed carry permit holders, since TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES reads-

UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:

4 Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds;

Well, I contacted the Fair Grounds Administration and got a answer back explaining it. Here is the E-mail I received today.
-----------------------

Good Afternoon. As you can see, your recent e-mail has been forwarded to me for a response. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, it’s a very busy time for us. We appreciate your inquiry. Please be advised that the Oklahoma State Fair Inc., is a private not for profit entity, not a government authority, which operates the premises and conducts the annual Oklahoma State Fair. OSF’s policy of no weapons, as posted on the entry gates, applies during the annual Oklahoma State Fair when the gates are locked and entrance admission is charged and OSF has exclusive possession of the property. Our policies have been reviewed by our attorneys and are consistent with the Oklahoma statutes. Feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions or comments.

Take care.

J. Scott Munz
Vice President
Marketing & Public Relations

This is the same reason why the Oklahoma City Zoo is a prohibited place. The zoo is owned and operated by the Oklahoma City Zoo Trust, thereby making it private property.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere in state law that provides for a suspension of your handgun permit for the offense of simple trespass. Am I missing something?

You might not be charged with 'simple' trespass. Depending on the LEO or Assistant D.A., you might be charged with 'criminal' trespass with a loaded weapon. Knowingly bringing a loaded weapon on to property where you knew the owner / proprietor had specifically posted the property off limits to weapons. They might charge you with having criminal intent to deliberately break the handgun law. Not worth the risk to me... especially this close to open carry and the new handgun law.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might not be charged with 'simple' trespass. Depending on the LEO or Assistant D.A., you might be charged with 'criminal' trespass with a loaded weapon. Knowingly bringing a loaded weapon on to property where you knew the owner / proprietor had specifically posted the property off limits to weapons. They might charge you with having criminal intent to deliberately break the handgun law. Not worth the risk to me... especially this close to open carry and the new handgun law.

Has anybody ever been charged with trespass?

ETA: That's a dumb question. . .let me rephrase:

Has anybody ever been charged with trespass simply for having a firearm where a "no firearms" sign was posted?

Latest posts

Top Bottom