Oklahoma vs Houston

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TO ME, it seems like Riley and Bubba Stoops got stumped and didn't know what offense or defense to call. Don't see how this was on Mayfield either, the kid started 9 for 9 and finished 24 for 33. Might as well nickname our secondary "toast".... it's going to be a long season. We play like this and we will be 1-3 starting off after TCU.

Yea I didn't mean to imply Mayfield played bad but that's how it reads ain't it? I had just watched him do that desperation scramble that ended badly when I typed that out. And our defensive secondary looked downright bad. Houston made some seriously good plays when coverage was there too which doesn't help the appearance.

I think both Stoops brothers have changed. Mike was once the best defensive coordinator in the country without question. It wasn't even close. He was utterly ruthless in his play calling. WTF happened to him at AZ? Bob used to coach special teams personally in the early days and was nicknamed "riverboat gambler" because you never knew if the punt or field goal being lined up was going to be a fake or not and onside kicks could happen at anytime too. Fast forward to today and they have the best conditioned athletes around (though the gap with other teams has basically closed) and they just rely on that to win games. These days they just seem to be the most generally conservative program around. I thought Riley showed some promise last year so maybe it's not him? I just find it downright odd that since Leach and Mangino left every OC has been a complete opposite of them. Conservative, strictly to the odds, prevent catastrophe play calling is all we ever get anymore. All the risk they take is underwritten by the skill and ability of the athletes they have at the time. I know all coaches have to do that but it's just getting boring anymore.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I didn't mean to imply Mayfield played bad but that's how it reads ain't it? I had just watched him do that desperation scramble that ended badly when I typed that out. And our defensive secondary looked downright bad. Houston made some seriously good plays when coverage was there too which doesn't help the appearance.

I think both Stoops brothers have changed. Mike was once the best defensive coordinator in the country without question. It wasn't even close. He was utterly ruthless in his play calling. WTF happened to him at AZ? Bob used to coach special teams personally in the early days and was nicknamed "riverboat gambler" because you never knew if the punt or field goal being lined up was going to be a fake or not and onside kicks could happen at anytime too. Fast forward to today and they have the best conditioned athletes around (though the gap with other teams has basically closed) and they just rely on that to win games. These days they just seem to be the most generally conservative program around. I thought Riley showed some promise last year so maybe it's not him? I just find it downright odd that since Leach and Mangino left every OC has been a complete opposite of them. Conservative, strictly to the odds, prevent catastrophe play calling is all we ever get anymore. All the risk they take is underwritten by the skill and ability of the athletes they have at the time. I know all coaches have to do that but it's just getting boring anymore.

Nope, I didn't get that from you. I was just pointing out that he was one of the bright spots IMO to an all around piss poor team performance. All I can say is that, I agree to the rest.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guilty for raising doubt about Mayfield. I think there were a few high pressure plays (in the 3rd i think) where the pass was out of reach. However, there were also plenty of dropped passes so mayfield does not deserve all the blame.

Latest posts

Top Bottom