Oklahoma's Stand Your Ground Law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two questions about this piece of legislature.
1)How many times this law has been used by an Oklahoma Citizen in court for their defense? 2) Where can those records might found?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
State legal records can be found at https://www.oscn.net/v4/ although I'm not sure how easy it will be to dig out cases under those specific circumstances. It's easy to search for a name or case number, but I've never tried search criteria like a specific charge, etc.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to search online media sources to get basic details of shooting incidents. The news articles sometimes include names of the suspects and the circumstances.

From there, I’d check OSCN for the names of the persons involved and any charges or records.

It’s going to be a time consuming Easter egg hunt.

It may not be related, but just after the “make my day” law was enacted, a burglar broke into a house in Jones OK. The resident, an elderly woman met the burglar in a narrow hallway and gut shot him with a double barrel shotgun. The burglar managed to exit through the same window he came in through and was able to crawl about 25 yards to where the police found his body. The lady was “charged, but not taken into custody”. The OK county DA reviewed the charges and ruled it Justifiable Homicide.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whether charges are filed will depend largely on personal opinions of local LE and the DA. Some are strong supporters of citizens' gun rights, some are adamantly against them, and some will be more/less in the middle.

Not a lawyer, just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If SYG is followed correctly it never goes to court.
If your a Pharmacist and pump half a dozen rounds into a body in the floor or
your attacked in your car then you jump out and chase the guy around the car shooting at him.
Your not following the rules and you go to prison.
My 2 cents

Latest posts

Top Bottom