OLAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with retrieverman and snowcamo on this. It depends on how the general public treats the private property. I have leased several properties over the years and have respected the owners land, but I am a landowner too. I have seen the way the general public has trashed properties out and I will not lease my land because of it. I have enough friends that I invite to hunt with me that we all harvest and have alot of memories made. There is only one group that I have loaned my property out to hunt on and they all are military veterans. I never know they have ever evn been there because the cabin is that well cared for. They have earned the privilege to hunt. my $.02

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone that hunts public land 99% of the time, I would love the opportunity to have more access to hunting property. People have to have good manners and common sense. When on public land I not only pick up my own trash, me and my boys also pick up the trash of others before we leave. I've seen the trash and refuse left at Lexington and Hickory Creek.

I wouldn't blame a landowner for not wanting to participate, but will repay the generosity of those that do by treating their property right and encouraging others to do the same.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As someone that hunts public land 99% of the time, I would love the opportunity to have more access to hunting property. People have to have good manners and common sense. When on public land I not only pick up my own trash, me and my boys also pick up the trash of others before we leave. I've seen the trash and refuse left at Lexington and Hickory Creek.

I wouldn't blame a landowner for not wanting to participate, but will repay the generosity of those that do by treating their property right and encouraging others to do the same.

If they were all like you there wouldn't be any issues. My issues come from dealing jackwagons who drive 100+ miles into NW OK with the sole intent of trespassing and road hunting. Dealt with that for almost 20 years now, gets old. They know they're very little public land up here, and not a lot of people, so they just hope for the best I guess and hope they don't get caught. When somebody tells you they're looking for Major County WMA, and they're not even Major County, it's a little suspicious lol. Most people don't even know that place exists or have ever even seen it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they were all like you there wouldn't be any issues. My issues come from dealing jackwagons who drive 100+ miles into NW OK with the sole intent of trespassing and road hunting. Dealt with that for almost 20 years now, gets old. They know they're very little public land up here, and not a lot of people, so they just hope for the best I guess and hope they don't get caught. When somebody tells you they're looking for Major County WMA, and they're not even Major County, it's a little suspicious lol. Most people don't even know that place exists or have ever even seen it.

Agreed, if everyone tended their business like meatgrinder, I might change my opinion of the program, but I guarantee the "jackwagons" EXPONENTIALLY outnumber the conscientious hunters.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me tell you boys about Ol meatGrinder. Gonna tell ya the REAL skinny on the man. He is a "KNOWN" person. I have known him for several years and have taught his son hunter education. His son came to my farm during the Okla Youth Hunting Program hunt at MY request and harvested his first deer. He is a gentleman that appreciates the privilege of hunting on private land. He has hunted on my Okla County farm which is invitation only. I helped him with his first deer rifle which had a few issues that needed some attention. He has helped me with OYH when asked and this Fall he will be one of our volunteers probably at Jet,Okla. He and his boys wanted to try their hand at duck hunting so I put him in touch with the chairman of the Yukon, Okla DU chapter and they had a wonderful time and have killed a few ducks. I think he has hunted with the chairman for at least a couple years now. Last year I invited him back to my Pushmataha Co. farm for deer season and he missed a couple. It's amazing what can happen when you get your eyes checked and have a new prescription LOL. MeatGrinder is a chef by trade and can cook some mean vittles. He is always willing to help me when I call. He hunted last year with Dennis Hoddy and myself for doves and killed a few. Okie4570 - you will like him if you guide at Jet or at the Groendyke Ranch. He and,maybe, his son will be doing the cooking. He also loves killing tree rats too :)

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma had something similar for dove hunting many years ago and it didn't last. I got one of the maps and some buddies and I went to an area near Stillwater to hunt opening weekend......we didn't see any doves and there was really nothing on the property to attract them. Leasing that particular place was a waste of money. I just hope the Wildlife Department doesn't spend money on these places without verifying that they have enough game to be worthwhile. Access doesn't mean anything if there is no game on the place.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like they're leasing places as small as 40 acres. A place that size can be great hunting if a small number of people have it managed but giving the public open access can run any game off the place in a short amount of time.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give it a chance guys. I'm telling ya this works great in other states. Believe it or not the vast majority of public land hunters are respectful to the land.

I've shot lots of birds on 40-80 acre public patches. It's not always about big game.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Give it a chance guys. I'm telling ya this works great in other states. Believe it or not the vast majority of public land hunters are respectful to the land.

I've shot lots of birds on 40-80 acre public patches. It's not always about big game.

The bird hunters are the problem, not the big game. There's only one corner of the state to kill a pheasant.

Looks like a couple hundred acres in Woods County, sixty or so acres down by Snyder, and forty acres in Logan County,

http://odwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=27811f67fe294f08aae8f73d405f3c24

Latest posts

Top Bottom