OLAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The article in the paper today says the owners have different lease options. Some will be archery and shotgun only. Others will allow rifle and some will just be for wildlife viewing. There will be some just for spring turkey. Sounds like it could get confusing for some. I hope it works out.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just read that top end pay is $15/acre, and to me, that's legitimate lease money (I retract my statement in an earlier post due to lack of information). I still stand by my opinion that the program will be a disaster if not very closely managed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read that top end pay is $15/acre, and to me, that's legitimate lease money (I retract my statement in an earlier post due to lack of information). I still stand by my opinion that the program will be a disaster if not very closely managed.
I agree. They shouldn't have split it up into viewing, turkey, dove, and so on.
I've hunted the Ks WIHA several times, and there is no restriction on the land that I hunted for any specie.
There may be on others that I didn't hunt, but it was basically open hunting according to the season.
Somebody turkey hunting in the spring will think, or say he thought it was open during deer season.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. They shouldn't have split it up into viewing, turkey, dove, and so on.
I've hunted the Ks WIHA several times, and there is no restriction on the land that I hunted for any specie.
There may be on others that I didn't hunt, but it was basically open hunting according to the season.
Somebody turkey hunting in the spring will think, or say he thought it was open during deer season.

My bet is that they had to split it up to get land owners to sign up. If you deer hunt but don't turkey hunt, you can basically retain deer hunting rights and let the public hunt your turkeys. I agree it's kind of a crappy way to do it, but my guess is it was a necessity to get participation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My bet is that they had to split it up to get land owners to sign up. If you deer hunt but don't turkey hunt, you can basically retain deer hunting rights and let the public hunt your turkeys. I agree it's kind of a crappy way to do it, but my guess is it was a necessity to get participation.

Man, the law enforcement on that deal is going to be a nightmare splitting it up like that. With only three landowners going for it, I'm wondering how they have contacted landowners? Did you get a letter? I sure didn't. Most landowners I know are absentee or don't have a freeking clue what the internet even is. I'd think they would use the rolls through the NRCS.
I can see that though. I have a spot that is good dove hunting. Get a limit if your good, and another that is a roost, where you can burn a barrel up in an evening in about 30 minutes. Can't load fast enough if using a SXS. LOL. One is good for deer the other for nothing but dove.

Latest posts

Top Bottom