OLAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nebraska splits it up and you get more properties that way. Lots of landowners simply don't want people rifle hunting deer and that is an easy way to do it.

However I've never heard of wildlife viewing property! Hope they don't spend money on that. Those people aren't buying licenses to support the lease!

Some of the best wildlife viewing areas are around the Refuges like Salt Plains.
Some of the best deer, duck and goose hunting is in that same area. I don't see them getting any $5 an acre viewing lease. (just speculating, don't really know what the price is for that land.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the best wildlife viewing areas are around the Refuges like Salt Plains.
Some of the best deer, duck and goose hunting is in that same area. I don't see them getting any $5 an acre viewing lease. (just speculating, don't really know what the price is for that land.

The website said prices vary from like $2-15/acre, so the "viewing" property probably gets the $2. "Premium" year around hunting AND fishing probably get the $15.

There must be a BUNCH of people that just like to LOOK at wildlife. I'm shocked at the number of cars I see in the "viewing" area south of Hwy 11.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh for sure. People love to look at wildlife and that's great. There are lots of places to do that. Just never heard of a state leasing private property just so people can access it to view wildlife!!! That's nuts IMO. Where is that money gonna come from?

Also if you showed up with a pair of binoculars at a ranchers door step just asking permission to look at birds I can't imagine you will get told no very often! Do you really need to lease ground for that?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The website said prices vary from like $2-15/acre, so the "viewing" property probably gets the $2. "Premium" year around hunting AND fishing probably get the $15.

There must be a BUNCH of people that just like to LOOK at wildlife. I'm shocked at the number of cars I see in the "viewing" area south of Hwy 11.

Okla tourism has a day trip program that routes people to those viewing areas. One stop on a driving trip that takes a day to complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setterman

New to the site!
Reaction score
Give it a chance guys. I'm telling ya this works great in other states. Believe it or not the vast majority of public land hunters are respectful to the land.

I've shot lots of birds on 40-80 acre public patches. It's not always about big game.
You are correct, it's definitely worth keeping an open mind and giving it a chance. I have done most of my quail and pheasant hunting on public land. I've found hunt-able numbers of pheasants on small plots of 40 to 80 acres but not so much with quail. On public land it's a roll of the dice. Did the spot I drove three hours to hunt get hit hard yesterday or am I the first guy to hunt here this season? Am I going to encounter another hunter or group of hunters? If I do are they going to be sportsman or jerks? Restricted access is worth something to me and access to managed habitat is worth even more. The one thing that is a constant with me whether it's public land or private land is be respectful and grateful. Leave the place a little better, a little cleaner than how you found it.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me tell you boys about Ol meatGrinder. Gonna tell ya the REAL skinny on the man. He is a "KNOWN" person. I have known him for several years and have taught his son hunter education. His son came to my farm during the Okla Youth Hunting Program hunt at MY request and harvested his first deer. He is a gentleman that appreciates the privilege of hunting on private land. He has hunted on my Okla County farm which is invitation only. I helped him with his first deer rifle which had a few issues that needed some attention. He has helped me with OYH when asked and this Fall he will be one of our volunteers probably at Jet,Okla. He and his boys wanted to try their hand at duck hunting so I put him in touch with the chairman of the Yukon, Okla DU chapter and they had a wonderful time and have killed a few ducks. I think he has hunted with the chairman for at least a couple years now. Last year I invited him back to my Pushmataha Co. farm for deer season and he missed a couple. It's amazing what can happen when you get your eyes checked and have a new prescription LOL. MeatGrinder is a chef by trade and can cook some mean vittles. He is always willing to help me when I call. He hunted last year with Dennis Hoddy and myself for doves and killed a few. Okie4570 - you will like him if you guide at Jet or at the Groendyke Ranch. He and,maybe, his son will be doing the cooking. He also loves killing tree rats too :)
Thanks DS for the kind words. I'll put your check in the mail this afternoon :igetit:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where is that money gonna come from?

I didn't see it anywhere in the rules, but I figured there would be some sort of permt with a nominal fee. I also speculate that I along with other out of staters will contribute heavily through our license fees.

I spent about $750 on licenses last year for my daughter and I, and she killed ONE deer. I'll do it again this year to give her a chance at a repeat performance.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom