Old License still valid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so back in 2011 I received my license to carry here in OK(10yr). I moved to texas for work and in 2014 I got licensed to carry there in Tx. Work went down hill in 2015 so we moved back to OK in 2016. I was able to transfer my DL and get my old # back and it doesn't need renewing until 2018.

My question, does the CCW license stay valid until it expires or become null since I moved?

If the OK license did void, can I use my license from Texas as it's unexpired and cost too much lol.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely talk to OSBI but your permit likely became invalid when you changed residency per OSBI's FAQ:

23. I have moved out of state, is my permit still valid?

In order to retain eligibility for an SDA permit, you must maintain a residence in Oklahoma. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self‑Defense Act, the term residency shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card, and physically maintains a residence in this state or a person who has or is the spouse of someone who has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency.

26. Are non-residents allowed to have an Oklahoma SDA license?

No. In order to be eligible for an SDA license you must be a resident of Oklahoma. For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term resident is anyone who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card, and physically maintains a residence in this state, or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where residency is claimed.

Whether or not it gets "restored" by reestablishing residency is a different question.

The same question should be asked of your Texas permit now that you live in Oklahoma and have an Oklahoma driver's license.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas will allow you to keep the TX license, it will remain valid, and OK honors all valid licenses. You will have to renew in TX per TX law.
There are certain advantages in having a home state license in addition to any others, and if you intend to remain in OK permanently, I would get an OK license.

25. Can I transfer my out of state license to Oklahoma?

No. Oklahoma does not allow for the transfer of a license; however, Oklahoma will honor a license issued by another state if it is still valid under the laws of that state.

You should have turned in your SDA license to OSBI when you left OK, and if you had tried to use it, you could have been arrested. You are required to notify OSBI of any address change, and turn in your license if you cease to be an OK resident. You need to reapply using your current OK address. Personally, I would NOT call OSBI and tell them you are in violation by NOT notifying them of the address change.

application, required fee and 2 passport style photos to:

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
Self-Defense Act Licensing Unit
6600 North Harvey Place
Oklahoma City, OK 73116

Please visit http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/How_to_renew_your_license..html for complete instructions.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I wrote an email last night and I received a response already. This is the response

Oklahoma does recognize any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state. However, you will need to check with Texas. For Oklahoma, when an applicant no longer maintains a physical address, they are required to voluntary surrender their handgun license. If the same applies to Texas, then you will need to reapply for an Oklahoma handgun license.

Looks like I will be reapplying for my OK license soon. Thank you guys for all the info

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Oklahoma does recognize any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state." Woops, kinda sounds like the person who replied needs to take a refresher course unless they are talking about if you have full residency in Oklahoma.

I would try to re-contact and get hold of someone else to get a more in depth answer.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Oklahoma does recognize any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state." Woops, kinda sounds like the person who replied needs to take a refresher course unless they are talking about if you have full residency in Oklahoma.

I would try to re-contact and get hold of someone else to get a more in depth answer.

Oklahoma does recognize any valid permit issued by another state. Key word being valid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom