Old red dot powder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up with a half full metal can of red dot, the old red can that was 8 pounds or so. Thought I would see if it was any good so I loaded up 6 rounds of 45Colt with 200gr cast bullets. The load 7.3 gr is listed at 1001 fps on the Alliant web site and thinking of I got close to that on my chrono I could call the powder good. Well my loads average was around 850 fps. They all went bang and seemed pretty consistent just wondering about the chrono readings.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that all published velocities are coming from a specific test barrel --- depending what you are shooting it out of it's going to vary potentially greatly compared to the 5.5" test they did. Also, velocity will depend on the bullet type, as well as the primer. If you had known red dot and did a comparison set where the chrono data was way off then it starts to look more suspect.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya wished I had some new red dot to make a better comparison with. Not a powder I plan on using allot but might be worth playing some more when I get time. At least I now know it goes bang.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hhhhmmmmm. I've got a fresh jug of Red Dot, but I don't believe I've got any 200 grain cast bullets. I'll check. If so, maybe I can load some up and find a chrony to run them across.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your barrel may not be as fast or could be faster than another.

I also have some Red Dot and I use it in cast rifle loads I have also sent some jacketed .308 bullets down range with it.
Not as accurate as the cast loads but they went down range.
I chronographed them also.
11.5gr red dot under 170gr lead gas checked bullet from a 22" 30-06 Mossberg barrel went 1400 FPS.
100 gr powder coat projectile from .308 with .3cc (2.2 gr.)of red dot goes mid 600's FPS.
That is about as low as you can go with reliability and accuracy. (Case does not need resized after firing)

These loads are safe in my guns may not be in yours.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm looking my Speer Reloading Manual #10 (circa 1980). The 45 Colt loads were conducted in a Colt SAA.

200 grain bullets, 6.3 grains Red Dot (minimum recommended load) = 804 fps. 7.3 grains Red Dot (maximum recommended load) = 981 fps.

In one of my Alliant manuals, two separate configuration 200 grain bullets, 200 grain lead, 7.3 grains Red Dot, 1001 fps. 200 grain Gold Dot HP: 7.6 grains Red Dot, 981 fps.

Your loads are clocking a bit slower, but I'd say your powder is fine. Certainly a fine plinking load.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great info gang, the loads were pleasant to shoot compared the 250gr loads I have been running. Cases did come out sooty, not sure if they really means anything. Was shooting my 3 screw Black Hawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, knew it would be safe for what I thought would be a pretty hot load.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of on that note --- not to be that dude that says what you already know, but if you really did drop 7.3 grains in there then that kind of breaks a basic law of reloading to start low as that is the max listed charge. It's my understanding that typically as powder ages ("typically") it's going to burn faster at higher pressure, so that especially with older powder it's safer to start way down from max. Sure I've got some ancient but properly stored powder that I use, but I also don't count that the load data for it will translate to any recent powder I have.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kind of on that note --- not to be that dude that says what you already know, but if you really did drop 7.3 grains in there then that kind of breaks a basic law of reloading to start low as that is the max listed charge.

OP is using a Ruger. Rugers and Contenders are in a different class and all the above mentioned loads are for lesser firearms. The test firearm I referenced is a Colt SAA. I own a Winchester 1873 in 45 Colt. Both are inferior strength guns and demand pressures at or below 14,000 psi. All the loads cited above are for that category of firearm.

Now, Ruger. In my Speer manual, they've got a whole separate section for Rugers, and their test gun was a Ruger Blackhawk, 7 1/2 inch barrel.

For example. For the Colt SAA, 250 grain lead bullet, 6.6 grains Bullseye is starting, giving 801 fps. 7.1 grains Bullseye is maximum, giving 866 fps. For the Ruger, well, that's different. 250 grain lead bullet, 8.8 grains Bullseye is starting, giving 1011 fps. Same bullet, same gun, 9.3 grains Bullseye is maximum, giving 1076 fps. Unique? Etc. Same. Etc.

OP started well under minimum for his gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom