Old savage and Marlin rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once bought a Savage 32-20. A friend that I traded things with had an old scope he was going to give me for it and took the gun home to fit it with rings and the scope, lived in another state. He died while it was in his possession. His wife didn't like him and got rid of all his gun, reloading things before I knew he had died. She didn't care much for him, I don't know why I really didn't know her very well. Anyway she just practically gave all his guns and equipment away, mine went with the load. Never even shot it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a Marlin Ballard 32-20 years ago and made some cast powder coated bullets for it and sent them down range slowly with Red Dot powder.
Heavy late 1800's gun but it shoots.
I have not chronograph the load.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a Marlin Ballard 32-20 years ago and made some cast powder coated bullets for it and sent them down range slowly with Red Dot powder.
Heavy late 1800's gun but it shoots.
I have not chronograph the load.
Just be caseful of pressures. If the rollstamp (left side of the receiver) is a two-line rather than a three-line, it is a ‘cast’ rather than ‘forged’ receiver. The burn rate of your powder is critical to pressures. IMR-4198 is pretty good for replicating black powder pressures. Some go by a 40% rule. That would be 40% of 20gr black. I have found black powder velocities are reached well under 40%. Shoot me a pm if you ever want me to dig up notes.

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cliff,
I shoot a .25-20 Savage bolt as well as an 1894 Marlin lever in .25-20. The Savage has outstanding open sight accuracy to 75 yards. The Marlin has a full buckhorn sight that I am lowly learning how to shoot at different distances. I reload for them and have a ball shooting them.

Andrew

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, I'm curious. I've got a 340. Or maybe it's a 325. I can never remember.
It was a combination of bedding and simple modifications. It's rather a long story, but I have pictures of the process, as well. If you would like me to Private Message the process, just let me know.

Here is a picture of final shots from the rifle on target. The three at lower left are from another rifle. The two at upper right are walk-ins from the 840. The four in the bull are the last round in the mag from the walk-ins and another full mag showing repeatability.

IMG_0113[1].jpg