Old School Mini Bikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one out of a burn pile years ago when my kids were small I had it running well with a 5HP briggs.
You can buy a throttle cable with hand grip and hook it straight to the carb throttle shaft and that will bypass the governor.

I had it set up so if you let off the throttle all the way it would kill the engine.Basically close the throttle shaft all the way.

You needed to have a little skill and brains to ride my death traps. My kids had it ..others did not..some adults did not either.
In 150 feet that 5HP would have you going 47 MPH. EFFIN hang one, slider brakes do not stop on wet grass. Just bail off or pitch it sideways.
I made foot pegs from steel natural gas pipe and made them stick out 2X farther than they should.
That way you could pitch it sideways into a slide and drag the pipe into the dirt and stop the bike.

My kids loved it so much I turned their GO-CART into a mini bike.

SO look for an old go cart use the back tire and sprocket. and make a frame from gas pipe. Score a 5HP side shaft and a clutch and grip and throttle and go.

I made the homemade one with riding mower tires. Huge back tire and pretty good sized front tire.
It did not need a kick stand as the tires were wide enough it held itself up.

Extended foot pegs on it for stopping.
No brakes on it.
A wee bit faster than 47 MPH as it would out run the small tire 5HP bike.

One guy wanted his son to ride the small tire ..I told him NO WAY.
Your son is not skilled enough to handle it.
He got mad.
I said he needs to practice on a slow bike.
He was still mad and I said You need to ride it and decide if your son can handle it.

He said it is just a 5HP ..I said get on and go and I told him the first 10-15 feet it takes off slow and you think it's a putz then the power comes in and you need to hang on.

He took off across a field legs flailing and his steering looked like a Zara spook working the top of the water.
He limped it back and looked at his son and said YOU ARE NOT RIDING THAT!!
You ever ran 50 MPH with lawn mower tires on a rigid frame without brakes.
It's fun!

Lowlife

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post 26.
Google the parts and get to building.

Parts listing

minifrm.gif

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went and picked this little guy up for a buddy yesterday. Yeah, they’re pretty pricey but it’s a blast to putt around on.
It was mentioned earlier but there’s a bunch of cool little bikes out right now.
557D3066-F1FE-415B-99E5-DB1A4673DDF7.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom