Old Tools Are Better! - Thanks To An OSA Member For The Opportunity To Get These!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK folks, I won big today! I've had a few previous posts showing some recent watch repair projects that I have been working on. An OSA member posted on one of the threads that his grandfather was the master watchmaker for the Queen of Holland. His family has lovingly kept all of his old tools. He contacted me, and within a few weeks our schedules aligned and we were finally able to meet today. We had a great discussion, during which time they sized me up to make sure that I was worthy of using his grandfathers tools. Can't blame them, I would've done the exact same thing! I am so appreciative for the opportunity to purchase these, and thankful to him and his family that they thought well enough of me to continue to use these tools that his grandfather used in his craft. I finally got home this evening and began to sort through all of the items. There was a lot, and you can just tell by handling them that they are very high quality tools, designed to last a lifetime unlike tools you would buy today. The lathe, staking set, and Jacot tools have absolutely zero slop/play in them, the files are still in great shape, the cutting broaches are still razor sharp, and the list goes on. I have a project on my bench that has been waiting on a staking set, so I'll get to use some of these tools this weekend.

Since you posted about your grandfather in the public thread, I suppose I can call you out directly, so THANK YOU @Nic D. Your grandfather's tools will be used, well cared for, and NEVER sold.

2.JPG
3.JPG
11.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By the way @Nic D. , that one particular tool that you and I were trying to figure out what it does, it is called a 'Poising Tool', and is used to adjust a balance wheel so it spins true. It's basically a tiny version of a wheel & tire balancer. I sent a photo to the guy who I took my courses from to get the answer!

12.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom