Old Tools Are Better! - Thanks To An OSA Member For The Opportunity To Get These!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
OK folks, I won big today! I've had a few previous posts showing some recent watch repair projects that I have been working on. An OSA member posted on one of the threads that his grandfather was the master watchmaker for the Queen of Holland. His family has lovingly kept all of his old tools. He contacted me, and within a few weeks our schedules aligned and we were finally able to meet today. We had a great discussion, during which time they sized me up to make sure that I was worthy of using his grandfathers tools. Can't blame them, I would've done the exact same thing! I am so appreciative for the opportunity to purchase these, and thankful to him and his family that they thought well enough of me to continue to use these tools that his grandfather used in his craft. I finally got home this evening and began to sort through all of the items. There was a lot, and you can just tell by handling them that they are very high quality tools, designed to last a lifetime unlike tools you would buy today. The lathe, staking set, and Jacot tools have absolutely zero slop/play in them, the files are still in great shape, the cutting broaches are still razor sharp, and the list goes on. I have a project on my bench that has been waiting on a staking set, so I'll get to use some of these tools this weekend.

Since you posted about your grandfather in the public thread, I suppose I can call you out directly, so THANK YOU @Nic D. Your grandfather's tools will be used, well cared for, and NEVER sold.

View attachment 303237View attachment 303238View attachment 303245View attachment 303239View attachment 303240View attachment 303241View attachment 303242View attachment 303243
Very cool

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the shout out. Please enjoy them.
Doing so right now! Closing the arbor hole on a top plate to remove some of the side shake out of the mainspring barrel. It's an upgrade I wanted to get done on the 'FrankenSeiko', but didn't have the proper tool at the time. While not completely necessary, it'll bump up the amplitude and just make the watch run a bit more efficiently. I've already used your grandfather's Jacot tool to polish the pivots on all of the gears in the wheel train. This thing is going to run buttery smooth now! I should hopefully have this one finished up by tomorrow.

1663462611079.png

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Adam, next time I need to buy a watch, I may hit you up first to see what you might have in 'inventory'!

My hands and fingers shake too much to do something like this. Glad that you can!

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Adam, next time I need to buy a watch, I may hit you up first to see what you might have in 'inventory'!

My hands and fingers shake too much to do something like this. Glad that you can!
Haha, it's always a pleasure to hear from you Mark. Reach out anytime.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was 1 tool in this bundle that I hadn't been able to figure out it's purpose.

1667608281604.png

Tonight I attempted (successfully I might add) to replace my first balance staff. It's as close to open heart surgery on a watch that you can do. The tool pictured above is an ingenious home-made roller remover. The roller table is press fit onto the lower side of the balance staff. It has the impulse jewel, and is the part from the balance assembly that engages the pallet fork to make the watch run.

1667609089746.png

There are few options in tools specifically made to remove the roller table. Simply prying it off would cause damage to the balance wheel assembly. This tool shown in the first picture (orientated incorrectly in my photo) is designed to wedge between the back side of the roller table and the underside of the balance staff. Once wedged between, you simply use a proper sized hollow stake and gently press on the top side of the balance staff and the entire roller assembly separates itself! @Nic D. , your grandfather was a clever man. The purpose made tool I had planned on buying at some point would be around $120. This gizmo did it without breaking a sweat!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom