Old tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked this old tool up last year, heavy as can be, bought it at an estate sale for $150View attachment 207100
From the serial number it appears to be from the 50’s. It’s a Delta/Rockwell jointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
65 or 70 years old and it will more than likely outlast us........has at least another 50 years of good life left....nice find

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we were on the farm/ranch, my father-in-law had a hand powered drill press. One would turn one handle to operate the drill, and a second nut-shaped "control" on top would increase the depth of the cut.

Sadly, I can't even find a picture of it on Google Images.
I know where one is at in a barn. It even has an auto feed if one drops a ratcheting lever. The owner told me I could have it, but never got around to actually retrieving it to rebuild.
I've rebuilt a couple of lathes that were in disrepair, one wood and the other a flat belt driven South Bend metal lathe that I just used yesterday to remove a bolt broken in a shaft.
That job was a bugger. It was for a friend that sheared a mandrel bolt in his grasshopper mower about 1/2 inch deep into the shaft.
Everything was right to back the broken bolt out, but it was stuck. Finally realized it was now 3/4 inch deep into the shaft. Yep, left hand thread. I was trying to back out a broken bolt that was bottomed out the wrong way. The top three or four threads were messed up when it sheared, but working it back and forth for awhile with some good oil got them straightened out.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 207102 Ok Rookies. Master one of these and get back to me. Just kidding, they have a learning curve but once you get the hang of it they are super handy.
I still use a brace and bit sometimes when building fence or something and if I need to cut just a board? I can whip one in half with a Disston handsaw faster than you can run a cord. I still enjoy working with hand tools sometimes. WAY less noise and way less dust.
I've got two draw knives I need to put handles on.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20210524_012655278.jpg
IMG_20210524_012638466.jpg
IMG_20210524_013020809.jpg
Are the handles threaded on or pinned?
It appears they were peened on the end of the handle. I don't know the history of either one. I do have a old rusted solid manual drill press. I uncovered it out of an old chicken coop. One of these days I plan on putting it in my electrolysis barrel and see if I can get it cleaned up and moving. I may see if i can get a picture to take in the dark.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It appears they were peened on the end of the handle. I don't know the history of either one. I do have a old rusted solid manual drill press. I uncovered it out of an old chicken coop. One of these days I plan on putting it in my electrolysis barrel and see if I can get it cleaned up and moving. I may see if i can get a picture to take in the dark.

If the e-tank does not get it freed up and moving, try brake fluid. I have had great luck with it thru the years for rusted old tools.

I am hoping to get an e-tank built before to long. When I do I will be happy to use it on my OSA brothers tools, etc. As long as it will not damage the tank of course.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the e-tank does not get it freed up and moving, try brake fluid. I have had great luck with it thru the years for rusted old tools.

I am hoping to get an e-tank built before to long. When I do I will be happy to use it on my OSA brothers tools, etc. As long as it will not damage the tank of course.
I made mine out of a plastic 55 gallon barrel laid on it's side with a section cut out

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

What are you going to use for a power supply? I haven’t been able to find an old “dumb” battery charger and the new smart chargers don’t work from what I’ve read.

This is on my list too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you going to use for a power supply? I haven’t been able to find an old “dumb” battery charger and the new smart chargers don’t work from what I’ve read.

This is on my list too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the members gave me an old railroad power supply he has used to charge batteries. If that does not work I will adapt an old computer power supply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom