On the Necessity of Resistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do Know Harm

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Choose to be a sheepdog in a world of sheep. Be wary of the wolves. Be kind and gentle until the moment arrives to protect those that have either chosen not to or those that cannot protect themselves. Always be prepared for that moment and if you find yourself many years in the future having never faced that moment, thank God for your good life and the peril he didn't send your way.

okbirdman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the original post, and I've heard the names and heard of the books, but the following posts make me think I've missed something in the news. Has something locally happened?

I remember years ago the Luby's shooting.

BUT! I have to think here.

If unarmed, despite my attitude or capabilities, won't my actions draw negative attention on my wife and my grandkids? If I have the bravery to move against the bad guy, and nobody else read the books, and nobody else follows my lead, then am I not sealing their death warrant to protect my pride?

I'm not in disagreement with the original post.

Would I be willing to live the remainder of my life suffering the many deaths encountered by a seemingly branded coward, in order to save the life of my wife or grandkids? Yes. Is that cowardice?

Whose lives does one have the right to further endanger simply to protect his pride or to make his final statement about a will to survive.

I realize that is not a good fighting mindset for survival, but the fact that my actions may hasten the death of others, must be considered.
=====
As an aside,
I remember a TV news interview a couple years ago where and armed citizen fired on an armed assailant in a convenience store. The assailant went down, but still crawled around and out the door to be finally arrested by police.

I remember words of the citizen on the news interview. Something to the effect of, and this not a direct qoute "If he'd have decided to shoot back instead of stay down, I'd have been in a World of Hurt--the incident caused me to rethink the firearm I carry."

Details were not presented, it left things open to imagination.

Corect me if I am wrong, but doing nothing does not insure the survival of your family either. I would hope that my actions would provide my loved ones and any other inocent victems the opportunity to excape. I feel that my time on earth is decided by a much higher power than a BG so if I am ment to survive I will. This is what I have used to justify my actions in combat as a Marine, and I truly belive that I will never be presented with more than I can handle in life. I feel that when my ticket gets punched it is ment to be.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corect me if I am wrong, but doing nothing does not insure the survival of your family either. I would hope that my actions would provide my loved ones and any other inocent victems the opportunity to excape. I feel that my time on earth is decided by a much higher power than a BG so if I am ment to survive I will. This is what I have used to justify my actions in combat as a Marine, and I truly belive that I will never be presented with more than I can handle in life. I feel that when my ticket gets punched it is ment to be.

I am not in the military, but I honestly wish I was/could be a lot of times. The honor and commitment that many of our servicemembers choose is heartening in a land/world of selfishness, cowardice, acquiescence and general sheepleness.

I have often considered whether I would put my life on the line to save someone else either less fortunate, less aware, or less able than myself, and I think I would. If that decision cost me my life, my son and my wife would have to go on without me. My hope is that that decision to sacrifice myself so that another(s) might live would inspire others, and at least my son, to bravery and selflessness in his life. To live life not as a sheeple, but as a sheepdog... as Sun Tzu said, "Appear weak when you are strong."

To me, living by example is the best way to spread your message, and if that means dying to save others, inspire others, and put even a tiny bit of fear into the hearts of future wrongdoers, that is worth it. I am not afraid of death, what I am afraid of is that my son may not understand the importance of honesty, integrity and the necessity of fighting evil in its every incarnation, regardless of the personal cost.

Prayers today to the men and women at Ft. Hood, their loved ones and to all our uniformed servicemembers around the world.

Keep fighting, you ARE appreciated.

urbanscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a really good post. The mind set of an individual directs their actions. I think we can focus on an outcome of a situation by using a tool (gun, etc) and ignore the use of mind set that gets us to that action.
Urbanscout

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I just decided not to be a victim. In an instant." - Lance Thomas

The nature of a mass shooting is the ultimate expression of human predator vs. human prey.

From Oregon to Arkansas to Pennsylvania to Virginia, there are some common threads to all of these horrifying events.

While we can argue the need for more police or armed citzens or gun control ad nauseum, the one thing that will ALWAYS be necessary to prevent such extraordinary tragedy is a willingness to resist.

Do not waste your time arguing over who is responsible. Do not waste your energy trying to convince those in charge that they are wrong for denying you legal access to a firearm.

Instead funnel all of that energy into developing the rightous indignation that will result in the will to resist this type of cowardly aggression.

It is inconceivable that a single individual armed with a pistol can overwhelm 10 times his number unless those individuals choose NOT to resist.

The presence of a firearm alone is not enough to deter violence of this sort. Only an individual or group of individuals determined to resist can do that.

A firearm in the hands of a coward is merely a nuisence in this scenario.

A firearm in the hands of a determined, skilled, and capable individual is the other hand, the savior of multiple lives.

All is not lost without the presence of a weapon in this scenario.

There are countless examples of willing individuals thwarting armed individuals with nothing more than their bare hands.

In a potential violent situation, make the certain determination not to do whatever the suspect wants you to do.

This may include feigned compliance until an opening presents itself, but sometimes you may not have this opportunity and be forced to create your own.

This may include fleeing or diversion. It may include standing your ground and fighting and possibly dying.

However it is imperative that you not acquiese and mandatory that you resist in some way.

Heroes will die some day, possibly today.

Victims die every day of their lives.

Resistance is often the determining factor in how survivors recover from traumatic incidents and frequently those that do not resist in some way but still miraculously survive, live with post traumatic stress than makes their lives unbearable.

Resistance on the other hand, reduces the effects of this type of post traumatic stress.

Don't rely on a suspect's mercy. Ever. The nature of their crime indicates that they do not regard society's ethos in the least.

Their initiative sentences them justly to whatever the rightous man does.

Make a commitment at this moment that if you are ever faced with this type of violence, that you will resist.

Michael Brown

Very, very well said,

About ten years ago, we had a hostage situation at a resdience concerning a home owner and seven of our county firefighters. The homeowner had made the fire call just to get them to the scene. Before they knew what was happening, he had pulled a .223 semi-auto, and told them all to lie face down. All but one complied. When told to lie face down thwe second time, the fire fighter told him: and I quote"F*** you, If you're gonna shoot me it'll be in the face, not in the back, you sorry coward. Instead of shooting him, he swung the rifle at his head to put him down. The fire fighter took the rifle from him and almost beat him to death with the stock.
When we arrived on the scene, I found MY LITTLE BROTHER standing over the home owner with a rifle and a broken stock.
After getting over my heart attack I had to treat the home owner for multiple head wounds and broken ribs. He spent 12 days in the hospital(only got 2 yrs probation).
What suprised me the most is that my little brother has never been a fighter, and would much rather walk away than meet a confontation head on, and had never shown to have any temper to speak of.
When I asked what the deal was hesaid "I was protecting my guys" and that's all he will say about it to this day.

He is now the Assistant Chief of CCFD Dist #1

Latest posts

Top Bottom