On the Way!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Purdy! I love my semi's but a well built revolver is just so good lookin.
Nostalgia at it's finest!

Nice weapon!

As an aside...
I've had a Model 29 44 MAG and a Model 13 357 MAG and shot the shorter special rounds in both. Which bares the question, is there a 41 Special? If there is did it come first or the MAG?
I Googled 41 Special. I've never seen the smaller version of the 41 MAG so I never knew there was any out there. I guess there is but I feel it's another answer looking for a question.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Nice weapon!

As an aside...
I've had a Model 29 44 MAG and a Model 13 357 MAG and shot the shorter special rounds in both. Which bares the question, is there a 41 Special? If there is did it come first or the MAG?
I Googled 41 Special. I've never seen the smaller version of the 41 MAG so I never knew there was any out there. I guess there is but I feel it's another answer looking for a question.
Never heard of a .41 special. One just needs to back off the magnum powder charge to create a lighter shooting round.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Nice weapon!

As an aside...
I've never heard of a .41 special so that proves... um, nothing. But I don't think there is such. I think it was kind of developed specifically to fill a gap between .357 and .44 magnums.

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are (or were) two commercial loadings for the 41: one was the magnum hunting 'gorilla killla' as one poster on the old Kansas forum put it. and the milder 'police load'. I have some 900 of the police load and that is what I'll test the 58 with when I get it. I thought I had some of the Winchester Silvertips but right now, I can't find them.

The brass for the two loads was the same, and the difference was that the hotter load had a 210-215 grain bullet at about 1300 fps, and the police load had a LSWC at around 900 fps or so.

The 41 was originally designed and intended for the police, being thought of as a compromise between the 357 and the 44. S&W tried to sell the 57 to police agencies, but due to size and the recoil, it didn't catch on. So the 58 was conceived in addition to the police load mentioned earlier. In fact, the name of the 58 was the 41 Magnum Military and Police and even though a few departments did issue it, it still didn't really take.

Hope this answers the questions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom