One Buck Limit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've heard. If you kill a doe, you get rid of two, maybe three deer. If you kill a buck, he aint breeding with a bunch of does. This isn't about population control, it's about money. If enough does aren't being killed, the logical thing to do would be to increase hunting seasons on public land. that extra week isn't going to decimate the Oklahoma deer population.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't it a one buck limit back in the 70's before they came out with the doe days. One week rifle season and doe day on the last day if you hadn't harvested a buck yet. No youth days back then you had to compete with the grown ups.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We practice this anyway on the places we hunt and have for years. From what I can tell it's made no consistent difference. We still don't shoot as many does as we need to, some years we see several mature bucks on cams, some years we see almost zero(like this year), and just because we see them on cams doesn't mean we see them in person. The two biggest bucks I've ever killed were on opening morning of rifle, where I don't have stands or cams, just happened to see them the night before when glassing and sit in that exact spot the next morning in a canvas folding chair lol. Both had never been seen till that previous evening. 12y between those two kills lol.

I've said this for years now to those who think you should have to shoot a doe before a buck, or before a second buck.....the number of does checked in will greatly increase, but the number of does killed won't change that much. The words "phantom doe and Echeck" work well together. Outfitters will throw fit over a "doe before a buck" rule lol.

I would like to see what the ODWC's financial thoughts are on this as well.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/species/deer/timeline

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't it a one buck limit back in the 70's before they came out with the doe days. One week rifle season and doe day on the last day if you hadn't harvested a buck yet. No youth days back then you had to compete with the grown ups.
I only bird hunted up there in the 70’s and 80’s, but that sounds vaguely familiar. Maybe some old timer like Dennis or DeerSlayer will chime in on this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom