One Buck Limit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what would y’all propose to grow bigger bucks?
How many hunters go out with 0 scouting and get buck fever and shoot the first set of horns that shows up? Would a 1 buck limit make those hunters pass on immature animals?
All of our neighbors have an agreement on the size of bucks to be taken- 8 point minimum that goes out past the ears. Has been that way for a while and all of us are seeing more and bigger bucks.
Growing "big bucks" (if you're referring to antlers). Doesn't really work like that.

A scrub head will be a scrub head his whole life and make more scrub heads as he breeds.

"Big bucks" come with luck and land management with the help of genetics. One size fits all blanket regulations won't help and may hurt if growing big deer is the goal. All land isn't the same.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't the state pushing to take away another buck.
It is a group of trophy hunters pushing for it.
The FB group that I know of trying to force it more so than anyone is ran by someone or multiple someones that are afraid to acknowledge who they are. They also censor anyone who presents facts contrary to what they post.
Wouldn't be the only Facebook group full of a bunch of Karens overly worried about what other people are doing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think me and you are the only ones that feel this way. It’s like trying to find a fat kid at McDonalds, makes it too predictable and takes the fun out of it.
And blasting one with a modern scoped firearm while a guy sits in a oak patch while they're eating acorns or blasting one with a modern scoped firearm while they're standing on the edge of wheat or bean field isn't predictable? One can only split hairs so much here lol.

Atlatl in loin clothes it is then, or it's boring and too predictable lmao....oh wait, atlatls aren't a legal means of take in Oklahoma, must be too unpredictable 😀

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And blasting one with a modern scoped firearm while a guy sits in a oak patch while they're eating acorns or blasting one with a modern scoped firearm while they're standing on the edge of wheat or bean field isn't predictable? One can only split hairs so much here lol.

Atlatl in loin clothes it is then, or it's boring and too predictable lmao....oh wait, atlatls aren't a legal means of take in Oklahoma, must be too unpredictable 😀
I think it is pretty clear that method of harvest by modern equipment is not the same as creating habits by giving hungry animals dependency on food and thus creating predictable patterns and concentrating animals. At the risk of hijacking this thread, let's agree to disagree on this topic.

Virtuaguyver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to share my opinion. Maybe bucks should only be hunted once every 3 to 5 years. Doe's stay the same. I feel bad for bucks not giving them a chance to grow.

Last edited:

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“So first they change duck season for the worse, then they take my best turkey hunting days away, now another buck. I am really starting to dislike this state more and more.”

Over the past 30 years, the duck hunting has always been mediocre the first weeks of the season and really good at the end. We always were frustrated that we were covered in mallards in mid to late January when the season was closed. ODWC made a great move with the change in duck season but as stated before, last year we had a very abnormal winter and this year winter has yet to arrive.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing "big bucks" (if you're referring to antlers). Doesn't really work like that.

A scrub head will be a scrub head his whole life and make more scrub heads as he breeds.

"Big bucks" come with luck and land management with the help of genetics. One size fits all blanket regulations won't help and may hurt if growing big deer is the goal. All land isn't the same.
Couldn’t agree more except for your first sentence.

Managing for big racks is not helped by shooting immature bucks. I don’t care what part of the state or the land type. I know plenty of people who will shoot the first buck that they see because they know they can then be patient waiting on a bigger buck to come along. A 1 buck limit would encourage a lot of people to be more patient and let young bucks walk.

If you want to fill the freezer there are plenty of doe tags to be filled.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think it is pretty clear that method of harvest by modern equipment is not the same as creating habits by giving hungry animals dependency on food and thus creating predictable patterns and concentrating animals. At the risk of hijacking this thread, let's agree to disagree on this topic.
Sure I'm good with agreeing to disagree, no problem. You are fooling yourself with this line of thinking though, because this statement couldn't be further from the truth.

"creating habits by giving hungry animals dependency on food and thus creating predictable patterns and concentrating animals."

Feeders and food piles don't turn deer into cattle at a feedlot, not in the least. They're not dependent on feeders, sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't, and when they do it's not always the same times. I can drive by several wheat fields in the evening before dark, and there will be deer on it, same time every evening. When there's 60+ deer out there, I can pretty safely say it's the same deer as previous evenings. If I set there on the edge of the wheat and shoot one, is that any different than dumping corn in a pile?

Latest posts

Top Bottom