one more pig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One year I killed 4 with a .22 pistol. Not counting the ones in traps. But if they get excited, they can forget they are supposed to die.

I find a 45 acp out of a 1911 (or Glock) cleans out a trap very efficiently. They may get very excited (and pissed off), but a 230 gr slug to the head will gentle them right down.:thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the pig!!!

According to internet lore, pigs are dang near bullet proof, and it almost takes a bazooka to bring one down.:screwy:

Personally, I've killed them with 17hmr up to 9.3x74r, and they were all just as dead.:rollingla

For short range pig killing, a 30-30 is great, but if you need to reach out a little, 300 WM is better.:thumb:

Buddy shot one with a .44 Mag pistol using factory ammo behind the shoulder. Rolled the small one, but it got up like never shot and ran off with the rest of them. He was shocked. No blood, nothing.
He watched the herd for a half mile or so and the one he shot acted like he never had an issue. He is a believer in the need for a bazooka! lol.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 20 years ago, my brother and I both had Ruger Blackhawk 357 revolvers, and we got a 175-200 boar cornered up in a creek bed and shot him 12 times IN THE HEAD before he went down. He was a tough SOB.

I only use a handgun (45 acp preferred) on head shots, and I only take "body shots" if I'm using a high caliber rifle.

***DISCLAIMER*** This has been a great plan of attack for me, but of course, others results may vary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom