One year ago TODAY...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On this date, just last year, my mother "basically" took her own life.

My mother and father had one of those fairytale weddings...sorta.

Dad was born in 1935 and mom in 1942. When dad gratuated high school, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He did his 4 years and returned home, where he then met and fell in love with the woman who would later be his wife and the mother of his three sons, with yours truly being the baby of the three.

Dad grew up like most young men of that era, working on and driving muscle cars, wearing leather jackets and listening to do-wop records. Too young for Korea, too old for Vietnam. Life in the 1950s was grand.

But mom's life wasn't very pleasant. First, her mother ran off with a door to door salesman and her father left mom and her baby sister, my dear aunt Glenda :heart::heart: to live with his mother, their grandmother.

Like most older people in 1950s, her grandmother survived the depression and hard living, which made her mean, hard and cynical beyond belief. She was abusive to her grand daughters both physically and mentally. Life with her was a living hell.

A few years later, dad meets mom when he was a 24 year old mechanic and she was a 17 year old carhop at the local drive in. They strike up a friendship which leads to something else, which eventually leads to marriage and 3 boys.

Mom and dad had an awesome relationship. Growing up, neither were abusive to each other in any way, shape or form. Quite the contrary. They were very, very loving parents. They had a passion for each other that most could never fathom. Dad worked nights at a gas station on the turnpike and mom ran the little corner market that we owned. It was there where at 4 years old, I stood on a milk crate, learned to wait on customers, run the register, make change and say "thank you - come again" before I even knew my ABCs.

As I got older, we took trips every summer to various locations. Disneyland, grand canyon, Yellowstone national park, Seattle, Las Vegas, Florida. I played little league baseball, had parts in school plays, was in cub scouts, went to movies BY MYSELF. Yeah...it was a great life.

Fast forward to summer or 2016...

Dad is diagnosed with prostate cancer.

He fights the good fight for almost 2 years, then in early April of 2018, he starts to go downhill. Knowing that her husband of 58 years is knocking on death's door, mom starts thinking about a future and a life without her partner and best friend and obviously can't see her without him.

Sadly, but luckily in her eyes, mom contracts a urinary track infection about the middle of May. Thinking this could be her way out, she declines medical attention and, naturally, the UTI goes septic.

Unknowingly to any of us, she had a DNR with her physician. We found this out when we took her to the ER and they basically sent us back for her to die. This was on June the 3rd. A week later, she took her last breath.

Sadly, this absolutely devastated my father. The cancer had progressively gotten worse and he too died 11 days later.

I had a good life with my parents. I was sheltered from lots of things growing up and I probably had a better life than I deserved. We took lots of trips when I was young. I always had a great Christmas and birthdays were the best.

I'm still pissed at my mother for what she did, but I'm sure she had her reasons. Whatever they were, I hope her and dad are together and happy, happy, happy.

I miss them both everyday.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a great family history story with a sad ending. I feel your pain having lost both parents years ago that were dedicated to their children like yours were. It must have been tough writing that.
I think it's more common than some think that couples with a loving relationship history do not want to continue without the other part of their life because they have become so much of each others lives.
One of my high school friends called myself and another friend about 5 years ago and asked if we could help in an intervention. Father had alzheimer's for many years and his wife could no longer provide the care required because of age and her own growing disabilities.
During a Dr visit, we moved their favorite furniture into an assisted living area. When they arrived, he threw a total fit and became uncontrollable, so we got another call a day later to move the furniture back, so we did.
About a month later, he suffered a cardiac arrest, was transported and passed at the hospital. His wife asked for some time with him privately.
After a period of time progressed, someone looked into the room, and discovered her across his chest passed away as well. I don't know if there is a medical term for dying with a broken heart, but it appeared that may have happened.
Don't be mad at your mother. She just wanted to be with your dad again. She missed him and knew you would be ok with her not being there because her job was done raising you to be the good person you are today.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for these very moving stories. Those of us that have been blessed with long, wonderful marriages, it is very easy to understand these events. I wish everyone could have a marriage and life as great as my 50 yr marriage and 71 yr life. Best wishes to all.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mother died a year ago also,miss her very much everyday. She had all the things done so it was easier to handle her business affairs. I still had a lot to take care of. She had a will and helped me avoid probate on her house,etc. Thank God.

My wife and I will have our anniversary this year, 39 years. Wow can't believe how time flies...

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never had a family and I suspect that many here haven't either. So others and I missed something that you had and valued. I'm sorry your mom passed that way. I'm much older now and miss not having a family, it's like a void in my heart.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never had a family and I suspect that many here haven't either. So others and I missed something that you had and valued. I'm sorry your mom passed that way. I'm much older now and miss not having a family, it's like a void in my heart.

I get it. I had a family, well, relatives anyway, not really a family thing..but it couldn’t have been much more dysfunctional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom