ONG - natural gas rates - good or bad idea to lock in the rate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another update:
upload_2018-10-30_8-7-54.png

upload_2018-10-30_8-8-11.png

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to be a rough winter for those of us on propane if the NG prices remain high. May have to stay out of the shop this winter and only heat the house.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not been watching them, but that rather surprises me. I just got my gas bill (ONG) and it is the smallest one I have seen in a long while!

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am very new to the area and trying to figure out the cost of NG from ONG is an absolute pain in the arse. We moved here from Georgia where they "deregulated" NG a few years ago and all it did was add a middleman (the "gas marketer") and as you might guess raise prices accordingly. Nonetheless, determining cost was pretty darn easy as all the marketers had to provide the cost to the state and they were compiled monthly on a spreadsheet. We had a 2200 SF house with gas heat and water heater. Our cheapest NG bill was $36 (which was mainly what Oklahoma would call the delivery charge) and the average in the winter was $90-$125 (Nov-Mar). Almost everyone used a fixed price as the variable rates were much, MUCH higher.

At any rate, we are buying a house with NG water heater and cook range, the heat is geothermal HVAC so our basic cost shouldn't be too bad. Where it *could* get crazy is with the 400,000 BTU pool heater...so not so sure I will be using that.

What is the current rate (ballpark) per DTH (they use dekatherm, here, correct?)

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. 4.054 per dth from 9.27-10.26

upload_2018-11-14_13-38-45.png

However, the average Henry Hub price for October is $3.23/Dth. So ONG ads about 82.4 cents per Dth to the Henry Hub spot price. Supposedly, this is the cost that they pay for the gas with the marketing costs included.

Latest posts

Top Bottom