Online testing???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdrspoon

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seen on the news recently that you will be able to take your test online and will only have to do Live fire with instructor to complete course. What could possibly go wrong with that? Pros Cons anyone??

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a practical point of view in doing the live fire, the instructor will have to do the safety orientation and dry fire with some (or most) of the students, for the safety of all the students and himself, regardless of what the plan says. I think the first 4 or 5 hours of class could be done as self-paced computer instruction. But then what are the people who want to ask questions during the law part going to do? Expect the instructor to redo that part in the firing section?
At any rate, the firing part, including necessary briefing and dry firing, would amount to the NRA "First Steps" Pistol Course, which takes about 3 hours with entry shooters. And yes, people still show up for SDA class with no idea how to hold and shoot a handgun.

I think the Oklahoma mandated course curriculum is an uncomfortable compromise of what different agencies involved think it should be, and what the legislature and people expect. If the primary goal is to publicize the law requirements and promote safe and legal carry, why are we also throwing in a smidge of marksmanship training and "safety rules" only applicable to a controlled firing line, not useful while carrying? Yes, I am an SDA instructor, and I don't like the lesson plan, but follow it exactly as required by CLEET. I think the entire SDA training program needs a re-think.

I think the Utah training is much more effective because they don't deal with live fire, or anything of marksmanship techniques. As I used to say in Utah class, if you don't know how to shoot, take a class just for that. A neat side effect was that people actually paid attention in the law section, which is the critical part you need to know when you carry, rather than obsessing about the shooting to come, as is common in the OK classes.

:soapbox:
So if we can't have Constitutional carry and just MUST have a state-mandated course, let's stick to the applicable laws, and let the people take their marksmanship training as they wish: NRA, TDSA, uncle Bill, Dad, Grandpa (or Grandma). And while we're at it, how about having a public practice range in each county to encourage safety and marksmanship (other states do it, why not OK?):rant:

Latest posts

Top Bottom