Only YOU Can Protect Net Neutrality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL....are you seriously going to try and compare the US to the Netherlands or Finland? Why not just throw Hong Kong in there for good measure cause they'd probably all fit in Texas's foot print with room to spare.
See veggie's post above where it was claimed that Europe had slower speeds than the US.
Now, you're arguing well yeah they are faster but that is not a fair comparison.
LOL

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think so.
The FCC is implementing rules that prohibit the telecom companies from pursuing practices that inhibit competition.

Paid prioritization for example is an impediment to competition.
It favors big established companies over small startup companies.

Another part of the NN order that hasn't been emphasized enough is their order prohibiting state legislatures from limiting competition.
The ISP lobby has convinced/bribed legislatures to pass laws that prohibit municipalities from expanding their own internet systems.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/

Competition is key and the big broadband providers spend a lot of time and money trying to limit competition.

I agree with competition. Doesn't current anti-trust law address that issue?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add this:

If the FCC really wanted to exert a heavy hand they could have ordered unbundling on the last mile of service.
That would have opened up the choices for the consumer but the telecom companies wouldn't have been very happy.

WES

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our Internet was free fans unregulated to begin with... now the gov owns it... I wonder how it will fare out when a Republican controls office

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You left out the death panels that are in there....
Oh, cmon veggie, you got those talking points off of some politically interested website.
The FCC link you provided has hundreds of documents and it appears that most of them relate to television broadcasters, not the internet.

The actual title 2 governance documents wont be made public until they are published in the federal register in a few weeks.
Until then chairman Wheeler's comments here are the best guideline we have to what the new rate regulations will consist of.
Your list includes rate regulation and we already know that is not what's in this order.

I'm disappointed in you veggie. You're not usually the type to copy/paste some biased political propaganda as evidence. :disappoin

Those points are taken directly from all 5 Commissioners' opinions as posted at the link that I sent. According to the Commissioners' official opinions, rate regulation is in the order.

Of course, the Commissioners' opinions are "biased political propaganda".

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There seems to be a controversy as to whether European countries have internet speeds that are faster or slower than the US.
Lots of propaganda out there.

Here is akamai's list of average internet speeds for end users by country.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

You will find that 7 european countries have higher speeds than the US for end users.

According to the Commissioners' opinions, on average speeds in the US are 30% higher than average speeds in Europe under similar regulations.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not really specifics, when considering you can't back it up with text from the order.
I'd love to look at the order, if the Republicans weren't so intent on holding up the release forever.

Pai and O'Reilly are completely wrong (or lying) if they said it introduces $11B in new taxes.
Funny how rural carriers are going to go out of business, but The Rural Broadband Association didn't notice. :P

Overall that's a bunch of bogeyman FUD. I'm going to wait for the text of order instead of taking it spoonfed from someone with a political interest.

That is all backed up with text of Commissioners' opinions, which is the best we have at the moment from the most transparent administration in history.

NTCA (Rural Broadband Association) says they only support the order "if the rules are clear and properly applied and calibrated", which means they will go whichever way the wind blows after official public release (if that ever happens).

Latest posts

Top Bottom