Open carry harassment...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only OC'd one time and that was this past spring. We were repairing fences after the floods in some pretty snakey areas. A shotgun was my preference but my P226 was more handy since I had all other manner of fencing tools to carry. Plus it holds 20 rounds. When we went to eat lunch I just kept it on as I saw no reason to unholster a loaded gun unnecessarily. Felt weird as hell. In hindsight I should have just packed the G19 and covered up. Would have been lighter and easier to throw a shirt over it. Don't think anyone really noticed but my old man and he thought I was breaking a law or something. OC is just not my thing.

I OC at the farm because it usually involves climbing in, on or around machinery. Other than that, I have been at a couple of BBQ's in Osage County when BBQ guns were the norm.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only OC'd one time and that was this past spring. We were repairing fences after the floods in some pretty snakey areas. A shotgun was my preference but my P226 was more handy since I had all other manner of fencing tools to carry. Plus it holds 20 rounds. When we went to eat lunch I just kept it on as I saw no reason to unholster a loaded gun unnecessarily. Felt weird as hell. In hindsight I should have just packed the G19 and covered up. Would have been lighter and easier to throw a shirt over it. Don't think anyone really noticed but my old man and he thought I was breaking a law or something. OC is just not my thing.

This. Just not my thing.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a pretty normal reaction from most fathers. Seeing an eleven year old with a gun tends to make them think that way.

Given your constant and petty and chippy attitude, I'm not sure why you get a free pass from mods relative to others that have been banned recently, but it seems like you need some yoga or something. Woosah my friend.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given your constant and petty and chippy attitude, I'm not sure why you get a free pass from mods relative to others that have been banned recently but it seems like you need some yoga or something. Woosah my friend.

Jules, I'm on the Mother****er. :)

I cannot address why or why not the other mods do what they do. Not my place. However, I will say it takes an awful lot to wind up on my radar. How it goes from here is strictly up to Mr. J there and no one else. I'd appreciate the rest of you guys not throwing gas on the already smoldering pile.

Farmerbyron was gentlemen enough to let it go on by without comment. I'd appreciate it if the rest of you could do the same. Nothing wrong with being the better man sometimes. Thanks, fellas!! :)

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Huh, this thread has me thinking. How often do I carry open vs concealed. I OC in my truck because it's more comfortable. Just stuff my T-shirt behind the holster so it doesn't rub on me going down dirt roads and such. When I get out, if I remember, I toss the T-shirt over it and go about my business. my daily carry holster is an OWB canted leather holster with a snap for retention. Super comfortable and tucks up tight against my side.

I also OC in an active retention plastic/kydex holster when hunting, filling feeders, clearing brush, etc. Those types of activities are usually followed by a trip to the grocery store or a restaurant and I never remove or hide my pistol - mainly because I've got other things on my mind at the moment.
I'm not looking for attention or waving the 2A flag when I OC. I wear a gun every stinkin' day. Sometimes open, sometimes concealed, and the choice never has anything to do with how much attention I want.

Hell, if I wanted attention, I'd put my cowboy rig on and go for a stroll in the local wal-mart. I'd be willing to bet I'd get plenty of "attention"

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have OC'ed once or twice on my property and once in town (Lawton) by accident - no one but me noticed. However, the one time I OC'ed in lawton on purpose, I went into Cracker barrel with my wife for dinner wearing dress pants and a shirt/tie so I didn't want to pull out my shirt tails. We asked to be seated by a window relatively isolated from the rest of the diners. As we sat my wife suddenly started conversing/gesturing (politely as in quietly trying to communicate) with someone behind me and I turned around to see a large woman seated with a soldier making very obvious "gun" hand gestures and pointing to my waist.

This led to a short, polite, but somewhat uncomfortable discussion of OC laws in Oklahoma (the woman was from Chicago having recently moved to OK). She was good enough to give me her full opinion of open carry and gun ownership in general - which wasn't all that bad but it was tainted by her cultural/regional background. Finally we were able to calm her down and allow us to return to ordering dinner.

It was odd, I didn't mind trying to alleviate her fears but I found her very silly over-reaction more unnerving than anything else.

Bottom Line: I don't think OC should be outlawed but I myself for a host of reasons prefer concealed for day to day operations in a populated area.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Open carry definitely gives you a much greater chance to make it a teaching experience to those who are otherwise ignorant to firearms or their relevant laws, but some people just want to be left alone. I get that as well. Though it is obvious it takes a thicker skin to do it since you can get chastised by both the anti and pro crowd.....

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just watched the video and what cracks me up is the guy taking the video is concerned about children seeing the guns but he is cussing up a storm with women and children walking by. This makes me sick listening to him rail on the oc'er when he, to my way of thinking, is being a way worse influence on kids. Don't get me wrong as I am no saint myself but throwing f words and cussing like he was he oughta be shipped out to what ever country he lived in that doesn't have guns in it, maybe his mouth would save the day.

By the way I don't oc but cc and this has been my .02 cents worth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom