open carry holster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on OWB holsters for the open carry law. I have been researching but either there are none other than the trigger has to be covered or I just am not finding the regulations. If possible please direct me the where these (if any) restrictions are according to law.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember right the restrictions are Belt or Shoulder. Though most will recommend some kind of level 2 retention.
Here is the state statute on the matter.

TITLE 21 § 1290.2
DEFINITIONS
A.
As used in
the Okla
homa Self
-
Defense Act
:

Concealed handgun

means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of
another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or
in a vehicle which is oper
ated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger;
“Unconcealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder
holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbar
d or case designed for
carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and
Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a.
has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches,
b.
is capable of discharging a projectil
e composed of any material which may reasonably be expected
to be able to cause lethal injury,
c.
is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d.
uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectil
e.
B.
The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self
-
Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation
pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As of Nov 1, 2013 the new law shall read:

Title 21 said:
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:
1. "Concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger;
2. "Unconcealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and
3. "Pistol" means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less than sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Nothing really major changes with the new wording.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Belt or shoulder holster is the only requirement. There is nothing in the law about covering the trigger.

I saw a dude the other day at Academy with a P3AT or LCP clipped to the outside of the cargo pocket on his shorts... technically he was breaking the law.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have where the old and new are side by side with what is changed somehow highlighted? I was not aware that it was changing.

Red text is being removed, bold text is being added.
Current Law said:
1. "Concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger;
2. "Unconcealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
B. The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

New Law said:
1. "Concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person;
2. "Unconcealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried upon the person in a belt holster or shoulder holster that is wholly or partially visible, or carried upon the person in a scabbard or case designed for carrying firearms that is wholly or partially visible; and

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like as long as I have a belt or shoulder holster I am fine. There doesn't seam to be any other restrictions. Thanks for everyone's help.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would a thigh holster qualify as a scabbard? Would the fact that a thigh holster is suspended from the belt qualify it as a belt holster?

I imagine it'd be pushin' the edge of the envelope to use a thigh holster for OC in public... but - well - they're just so darn comfortable and accessible.

Not that I'd OC using a thigh holster cuz I wouldn't; though I don't really mind annoying the population exercising my rights nor making them nervous (which to the best of my knowledge has only happened once since Nov and I OC 95% of the time) but I draw the line at freakin' 'em out and OC'ng with a thigh holster would in my estimation freak out not a few of our tamer brethren.

Still one does wonder about how the law would categorize a thigh holster??

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would a thigh holster qualify as a scabbard? Would the fact that a thigh holster is suspended from the belt qualify it as a belt holster?

I imagine it'd be pushin' the edge of the envelope to use a thigh holster for OC in public... but - well - they're just so darn comfortable and accessible.

Not that I'd OC using a thigh holster cuz I wouldn't; though I don't really mind annoying the population exercising my rights nor making them nervous (which to the best of my knowledge has only happened once since Nov and I OC 95% of the time) but I draw the line at freakin' 'em out and OC'ng with a thigh holster would in my estimation freak out not a few of our tamer brethren.

Still one does wonder about how the law would categorize a thigh holster??

As long as part of the holster connects to the belt, any good attorney should be able to argue it's a belt holster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom