Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay let me play devils advocate here. Lets say they pass a law where you are allowed to open carry or conceal..your choice.Lets say the law states that as an officer I am allowed to ask you for your license at any time for any reason. And if you dont have one you go straight to jail for unlicensed carry. Would you agree to that?

No, if said citizen has done nothing that warrants a detainment, then police officers should not be able to ask them for a license. I also dont believe that a person should be required to have a permit for carrying, especially openly.

and another point, how many of you truly believe that a felon, gang banger, bad guy in general, is going to open carry a firearm? "officers should have some way to know if a person is carrying a gun illegally or not" well we have licenses now, do you think that stops any bad guys from carrying? why would one of these people WANT to bring more attention to themselves? show me some proof from other states that have open carry that proves that felons are open carrying firearms.

and another argument i am tired of hearing, "you will be a target first in a shootout". really? show me some stats from other states that have open carry that support that.

some people act like we are gonna be the first to have open carry if we ever do get it passed. what you forget is that it has been done in other states for an awful long time, and you never hear of incidents like the ones everyone fantasizes about.

Paulinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think back to the old west times.....where carrying a weapon openly was only practical. (and i bet most had a concealed backup) Even then they had theives of all types. I think of my CC as my ace in the hole....Its there when I need it, and no one else will know. If I wore it openly that wouldn't be true.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think back to the old west times.....where carrying a weapon openly was only practical. (and i bet most had a concealed backup) Even then they had theives of all types. I think of my CC as my ace in the hole....Its there when I need it, and no one else will know. If I wore it openly that wouldn't be true.

you are talking about a different time. back in the old west days, EVERYONE carried a gun. now days the number of people who carry a gun is much less. yes they had criminals back then, but now days criminals try to fly under the radar of the police as much as possible, so why make themselves stand out more by showing that they have a firearm.

the element of surprise. i dont want the surprise factor, i want them to see it when they are picking victims and decide that i would not be the best victim in the world, i want them to know before hand, not when i have to draw and use it. i would much rather not shoot someone.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, I think everyone should be able to carry as they see fit-- no permit required. However, I still don't think I'd OC often. Why wouldn't the scumbag shoot the OC guy in the back to steal his gun? They'll shoot someone for a carton of cigarettes so why wouldn't they shoot someone for a guaranteed couple hundred $$? I think getting a huge percentage of our neighbors carrying concealed is a better deterrent. If scumbag sees 10 people and knows 5 are likely armed, THAT would would be a deterrent.

boomstick

Marksman
Reaction score
The whole concept of concealed carry is to establish uncertainty in the perpetrators mind about who is and who is not armed.
Keep the perps guessing and wondering.

Open carry pretty much takes the guessing out of the equation and allows the perpetrators to avoid the armed citizens and home in on the rest.

$00000000000.02

NO ITS NOT

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay let me play devils advocate here. Lets say they pass a law where you are allowed to open carry or conceal..your choice.Lets say the law states that as an officer I am allowed to ask you for your license at any time for any reason. And if you dont have one you go straight to jail for unlicensed carry. Would you agree to that?

You see people driving way bigger killing machines everyday, but can't just pull them over and ask if they are legal without probable cause that they've done something illegal. No difference here.

Checkpoints are another can of worms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom