Opinion on drones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren’t drone operators required to register any drone they fly?
Under a certain weight and for recreational use then typically no. You do still have to follow the rules.
I could care less what the weight requirement is. If someone is flying a drone over me and recording they are violating my privacy.
Not suppose to fly over people. Law depends on circumstances and locality. Typically allowed more then you’d think.
Either way it’s a d!ck move and I personally wouldn’t normally do it.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was that what I asked?
You asked if operators were required to register any drone they fly. The answer is probably some do, some don't. The point is if the government passed a registration law, would people comply? Some would, some wouldn't. That's a pretty dang basic analogy to get the understanding that just as many gun owners would ignore registration because of a variety of reasons, drone ops would do the same thing.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me appreciate my neighbors that are all great..... I have a drone but only fly it at my ranch.....very handy to have to cover a large area quickly. I love looking at the pic's it records of wildlife from a birds eye view

Last edited:

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drones under 250 grams do not require registration.
Only one drone per owner over 250 grams has to be registered. It is more like the owner is registered, because any additional drones do not have to be registered.
Drones have to be marked in an external VISIBLE location with the owner's name and phone number, per FAA regulations.
Any commercial use of a drone puts you under a completely different set of rules, requiring actual licensing as a drone pilot.

Recreational fliers of drones(regardless of drone weight) now need to take a test to prove a basic knowledge of flight safety.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/knowledge_test_updates/
All airspace above ground level is regulated by the FAA and ONLY the FAA. That includes 3 feet above the ground in your own back yard. It also includes all of the airspace above your neighbors land. Cities and other governing bodies CAN make laws restricting take-off and landing areas. That is how someone other than the FAA can control drone flying.

It is all a complicated collection of rules and laws; a lot like gun laws, where failure to educate yourself can get you in trouble pretty quickly.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy who bouoght our house here in CA is highly educated, Got his BS in Aerospace Engineering from MIT and his Masters from Stanford. Worked at Space Ex for a number of years in the rocket propulsion part of it and now is a higher level engineer at Anduril Industries. He developes some crazy, highlevel drones for the US Govt. THey have developed and are apparently either testing or have in use drone killers and are now developing smaller versions of liquid propulsion drones that carry munitions. He was telling me things that shocked me and that i would have never thought existed and applications and locations that I would never guess they are being used in. He's a really nice guy and is the type of person I'd love to sit down and have a few drinks with and just listen to him talk.

On the civilian drone side i think they are really a cool thing but about 5 years ago my son and i went to the Hobby shop and got one of thse electric motor styrofoam RC airplanes that looks like a Cessna. Just an inexpensive RC plane that i had soooo much fun flying around the school field on the weekends. Really had a great time doing it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom