Opinion on drones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing--I've been checking the realty sites for houses in the Tulsa area. Most of them have lots of pics of the house, yard, rooms, etc, but a surprising number of them only have a single Google Streetview image of the house. The funniest of those was in Sapulpa; the owner had apparently taken the time to have it "removed" from Streetview, so the only pic of the property had the actual house blurred out. I guess they were really serious about selling that place...

Funny thing about that, if you have Google blur your house, it cannot be undone. Ever. And, you dont have to prove you live there.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up a little drone and was practicing my front yard this morning and my neighbor came out screaming at me about my "spy plane" and it made me laugh. Figured I'd see what other people thought.
These same people that talk of SpY pLaNe are the same ones that have an iPhone 12, Facebook accounts, and fill out Amazon reviews.....likely have Alexa too.

However they will complain about privacy to you about your drone because that is what scares them? Lol

If you are being obvious about looking then yeah, they are full within their rights to say something, but people who say they will shoot it down....yeah ok fire at an elevated target and miss leaving the bullet to come down somewhere else.....just people who Saber rattle so they can feel like they mean something.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All airspace above ground level is regulated by the FAA and ONLY the FAA. That includes 3 feet above the ground in your own back yard. It also includes all of the airspace above your neighbors land. Cities and other governing bodies CAN make laws restricting take-off and landing areas. That is how someone other than the FAA can control drone flying.

This is not true ICanFixIt Class G airspace is uncontrolled

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're friggin evil, that's my opinion!!

Our renters gave me a fold-up drone when they moved out last year. I decided to power the demon up in my den to calibrate it and figure out how things work. Bad move!!! When it came to life and took off, my jaw dropped, and I'm kinda surprised that I didn't soil myself. You see, my den is filled with many breakable things (pottery, etc.) that cannot be replaced. The drone hit the air and I jumped up after it. Those 4 blades tore my hands and arms up. I did finally manage to get it down on the ground and was holding it with the bottom of my computer chair...for a bit. It got loose and came up my legs (wearing shorts, of course). Those 4 blades tore up my legs too.

My wife came in and said that it should serve as some sort of lesson to me, but it's really hard to take her seriously when she's laughing that hard.

dronedamage.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont have a problem with them, but I also have one for the intention of using it for my business. Was flying it around the other evening in my neighborhood to get some practice in and some buttholes down the street were shooting fireworks at it though. I have a decent sized drone, but even at 200 ft you would never know its flying overhead or following your car.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All airspace above ground level is regulated by the FAA and ONLY the FAA. That includes 3 feet above the ground in your own back yard. It also includes all of the airspace above your neighbors land. Cities and other governing bodies CAN make laws restricting take-off and landing areas. That is how someone other than the FAA can control drone flying.

This is not true ICanFixIt Class G airspace is uncontrolled
You need to do a bit of study to understand the difference in "unregulated" and "uncontrolled". In Class G airspace, can you legally fly a drone over 400' AGL? No. In class G airspace, can you legally fly your airplane over 250 Knots? No. There is no air traffic control in class G airspace, but there are certainly rules of law that regulate what a pilot can and cannot do.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, it’s not a matter of legal or illegal, it is a matter of respecting my neighbor‘s privacy, albeit perceived. I own and fly RC aircraft, and had a drone. I have chosen to not knowingly fly over people or their homes, simply as a courtesy. Some time ago there was a man who shot down a drone being used to “observe” his attractive, young daughter and her friends while swimming/sunning in their yard behind a tall fence. Yes, he was charged and convicted, but was he wrong? Had the “pilot” been caught looking through her window, he would have gone to jail. I don’t claim to know what the answer is, but two wrongs (legal or not) never make a right, at least that’s what grandma always said......

Latest posts

Top Bottom