Opinions on a Home Defense Revolver for the Non-Enthusiast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if you were going to recommend a home defense revolver in the $500-$600 price range to someone who is not a firearms enthusiast, but someone who needs and wants one to have in the home just in case, what would it be?

I'd probably say a mid-size stainless Smith or Ruger, 4" barrel, chambered in .357 or at least 38+P...something that isn't going to freak them out with recoil, and that will give them 6 (or 7) rounds at their disposal.

I actually have some experience with this. Back in December I sold a Taurus 65 with a six inch barrel to a 67 year-old lady I work with after her neighbor's home got broken into at night, but the neighbor had a gun. The old lady is from California (we're actually from the same town) and never liked guns, but she wanted one after that. She asked me what gun she should get, and I offered to sell her one of my guns. Went home for lunch and packed up a few handguns in the car, then on break I showed her the different guns. Ended up choosing the Taurus because she thought it was the same gun police officers used to use and she said she wanted something that would drop an intruder in one shot. Sold her the Taurus for a hundred bucks with 6 rounds of .38 specials and a box of .357. I think she keeps it in a drawer or something.

Funny story: This summer she said her yard was full of copper heads, so she called her nephew over to kill em with a shotgun. She also got in on the action with the revolver using the .357s and sploded some snakes. Not sure I would have done that myself, but she's crazy.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend something in .357mag, but loaded with .38 specials. The recoil difference is huge, but she could still shoot magnums if she wants to.

If shooting different makes/models at a range isn't an option, at least have her try the trigger pull on a few and pick one that feels best to her hand. :drunk2:

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd recommend something in .357mag, but loaded with .38 specials. The recoil difference is huge, but she could still shoot magnums if she wants to.

If shooting different makes/models at a range isn't an option, at least have her try the trigger pull on a few and pick the one that feels best to her hand. :drunk2:

Also go with a long barrel. Easier to aim, more weight to absorb the boom. Plus it's gotta be scarier to stare down a huge barrel, even if it's just a little old lady behind it.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would normally recommend a S&W 4" 686+, but one likely won't be found used for less than $600. Any of the 4" - 6" .38 K frame models would suffice, especially if using a +P defense load. No sense in paying twice the price for the 686 if it's just a JIC case gun that doesn't see any use.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn hard to beat the good old S&W model 10. A decent one can be had in the 300 range
Yep. A 4" heavy barrel Model 10 loaded with .38 +P is just what the doctor ordered. If you look you can probably find a NYC trade-in thats DAO and has a bobbed hammer. Perfect for a new shooter that wants to learn and affordable.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smith J frame with an enclosed hammer. 442, 642, 640, etc... Only two “controls” - a release for the cylinder to load/unload, and a trigger to make it go bang. No worries with cocking a hammer (or a novice trying to lower a hammer...). As simple as it gets.

I got my mom a 642 and put a hogue tamer grip on it. The factory trigger is a little heavy, but a Wilson Combat spring kit will cure that. I’ve put one in all my J frames.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smith J frame with an enclosed hammer. 442, 642, 640, etc... Only two “controls” - a release for the cylinder to load/unload, and a trigger to make it go bang. No worries with cocking a hammer (or a novice trying to lower a hammer...). As simple as it gets.

I got my mom a 642 and put a hogue tamer grip on it. The factory trigger is a little heavy, but a Wilson Combat spring kit will cure that. I’ve put one in all my J frames.
Thanks for this post. My wife carries a 642 and I carry a Kimber k6s. I'll grab one of those spring kits. She's been trying to swap for my k6s. Maybe that tune up will keep her at bay.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W Model 442

No, Airweights are not going to work. I dig the 442; but for her? No. Need a heavier gun.

Keep ‘em coming folks; good ideas here. Heavy, preferably stainless. I am leaning to the .357 but as said, loaded with .38’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom