Opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple more things to consider, unless I missed them in my haste:
- Semi-Autos: Magazine fed or tube fed? I vote tube fed, little kids can easily lose a small magazine in the weeds. The tube; not so easy to set aside maybe.
- And then this: Semi-Auto or Bolt Action? I vote bolt action. Not much to be learned with spray and pray, which might be a tendency of many young shooters. Bolt guns teach them to take their time and make the shot count.

Any of the options already given are fine choices once you decide what it is you want them to get out of it. IMO, it is hard to beat a basic Savage Bolt Action .22 for an inexpensive, yet well built and accurate starter rifle. I can also recommend the Marlin XT-22; I had one of the newer ones and it was a tack driver. I've not had one or even shot one of these bolt actions, but Ruger makes good .22 rifles too and their latest bolt action .22 does look good to me.

And now, I'll do "The Mod Thing" on this and move it to the "Rimfire Section" for you. You're welcome!

:sunbath:

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple more things to consider, unless I missed them in my haste:
- Semi-Autos: Magazine fed or tube fed? I vote tube fed, little kids can easily lose a small magazine in the weeds. The tube; not so easy to set aside maybe.
- And then this: Semi-Auto or Bolt Action? I vote bolt action. Not much to be learned with spray and pray, which might be a tendency of many young shooters. Bolt guns teach them to take their time and make the shot count.

Any of the options already given are fine choices once you decide what it is you want them to get out of it. IMO, it is hard to beat a basic Savage Bolt Action .22 for an inexpensive, yet well built and accurate starter rifle. I can also recommend the Marlin XT-22; I had one of the newer ones and it was a tack driver. I've not had one or even shot one of these bolt actions, but Ruger makes good .22 rifles too and their latest bolt action .22 does look good to me.

And now, I'll do "The Mod Thing" on this and move it to the "Rimfire Section" for you. You're welcome!

:sunbath:
Thank you and thank you! :thanku:

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget the Remington 597 semi auto. Very accurate and can usually be had for less than $200. Internet search the many reviews.

I’ll second that.
I’m a huge fan of my old wooden Marlins. Definitely my favorites. The new Marlins are solid rifles as well.

I do also own a couple of Remy 597s and they’ve been great guns for me. You can find scoped models under 200$.

Heck.....get a Ruger, a Marlin, a Remington & let them draw out of a hat for each one.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an early version of the Rem 597 for my son and it left a bad taste in my mouth with all of its hiccups (terrible feeding Mags, extractor issues, etc.). I hear that the new ones are much more reliable and that there are aftermarket mags and extractors for the older problematic models. Oh, I feel like I should clarify that I have never actually had a Rem597 or any other firearms in my mouth!! Don’t try this at home!

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I bought an early version of the Rem 597...with all of its hiccups (terrible feeding Mags, extractor issues, etc.)...
The early 597s had plastic magazines which were problematic but the new Remington and Keep Shooting brand aluminum magazines are trouble free. The biggest issue with the 597 is the 2 screws holding the guide rails in place; these cannot be more than hand tight.

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The early 597s had plastic magazines which were problematic but the new Remington and Keep Shooting brand aluminum magazines are trouble free. The biggest issue with the 597 is the 2 screws holding the guide rails in place; these cannot be more than hand tight.
Thanks for the info Chief......I certainly do appreciate it!

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man,oh man, you guys certainly knocked my request for comments and info out of the park! I just wanted to tell you all how much I truly appreciate you sharing all of this knowledge. I also want to let you know that I purchased 4 Marlin 60’s @ Academy today for $139.99 ea. I felt like this was the best way to go for me. There is enough aftermarket stuff available for the Marlin 60 that they can make them their own. Now it’s time to make some memories! Great community here.... I do believe that I will stick around.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man,oh man, you guys certainly knocked my request for comments and info out of the park! I just wanted to tell you all how much I truly appreciate you sharing all of this knowledge. I also want to let you know that I purchased 4 Marlin 60’s @ Academy today for $139.99 ea. I felt like this was the best way to go for me. There is enough aftermarket stuff available for the Marlin 60 that they can make them their own. Now it’s time to make some memories! Great community here.... I do believe that I will stick around.

Good choice.
Great rifles.
They’re gonna love you.
Have fun.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

Gun Poor Pop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks jmike314. I think that they are a nice little rifle for the money..... of course there were some others that would have made fine choices...... when it came down to it the Marlin 60 just seemed to fit the bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom