Optic for Barrett M82a1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My suggestion is Schmidt Bender, and if you shop around, you should be able to find a used one for under $2k. My second choice would be NightForce. I’ve only owned a couple, but the optics were good. They’re supposed to be a rugged scope that can take heavy recoil.
You should check Euro Optics, because they run specials and also have a used scope selection.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got several Sightrons that I like and those can be had in the 1k range. Going up above that is a little rich for my blood but +1 to checking the eurooptics demo page for good deals.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in need of a rifle scope for my Barrett M82a1.......what would you suggest in the $2k or less range.....thanks for your input
Well, the issue scope for the M82 was the Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x. They're under $2k and you can still find them used. Just hunt around. Leupold doesn't make the Mark 4 series any longer except for Military contracts and special orders in quantity. I'd look at the Mark 4 replacement or similar (https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-4-5-14x40-side-focus-cds-zl-wind-plex) . There are plenty of others that you can get from them that are under $2K and for that gun, a 5-25x would be ideal but anything 14x and over works well.

Second to that, I'd look at a Nightforce or even one of the Vortex Razor HDs (only the Razor HD); Meopta and Zeiss are good alternatives. Meopta is the LOW of the European scope market and makes scopes for a lot of folks.
Most other scopes are substandard. Just remember that in the scope world, you get what you pay for and putting a cheap optics on an $8k gun makes it as cheap as the optic. The exception to this is the S&B PMII...you couldn't pay me to take one of those.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hensoldt or Kahles are great scopes, just don't plan on finding one with MOA adjustments. I'm pretty sure they are the military divisions of Zeiss and Swarovski, respectively. If you are patient, you can find one of the higher magnification range scopes for less than 2k.

I have the Hensoldt 6x24x56 on my Sako TRG and the glass on it is better than the Nightforce NXS I have on my XM2010.

Also, Midway USA has the Leupold Mark4 4.5x14x50 with TMR reticle on sale right now for $680.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362173644?pid=936654

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t waste my time looking at a Leupold Mark 4 but that’s just me. Asking which scope to buy will yield as many answers as there are scopes. There are some who are scope whores and feel a need to have the latest and greatest, others are satisfied with a five year old model, and still others get by with lesser Chinese made products.

in your price range quality glass can be had with sufficient eye relief, magnification, and zero stop. But it will probably be used or a demo unless you’re a veteran or law enforcement. There are many sites that offer 40-55% off MSRP with Vet/LE discounts. You neglected to say what magnification or reticle you would like to have. I‘ve shot through NF, Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender, and US Optics. I liked all of them but my pockets could only afford Vortex Razor’s (which I have two of) or Bushnell.

First decided what your minimum requirements in a scope are and then set your price range you may find you don’t need to spend 2K.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a reason?

Also, what Vortex Razors? The HDs are as much as a NiFo and Leupold Mark 5, so that not really a cost savings.
Your linked scope doesn’t have a zero stop and is second focal plane. Two things which are a must for me are zero stop and first focal plane for long range shooting. I also desire more of a “Christmas Tree” reticle.

I also don’t get reduced pricing on either NF or Leupold. I have a Razor 5-20 HD and a Gen II Razor on my AR. Two older scopes scopes which still perform great. And, I could video purposely destroying either one and post it on YouTube and Vortex would replace it free of charge.

As far as pricing, take a look.

3A77C55F-9784-4EFD-A528-A82DA631E1F4.png
E4E27590-BE44-42B8-A1AA-1ADC7C7EBA95.png
25C4BBF7-2B37-4D56-A50A-CF7DC0F01A04.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom