Optics Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have Vortex, Bushnell, Nikon, Redfield, Leupold, Simmons, Bushnell, and maybe a few others that I'm forgetting. They are all good for different things (the Bushnell, Redfield, and Simmons are all craptastic).

A week or so ago, I purchased a Nikon P-308 4-16x42 for a 6.5 Grendel...and I love it. Nikon warranty is fantasterifical and I love the "Spot-On" app. With the app, I can adjust the BDC to account for most cartridges. A few years back I bought an old Monarch 3 at a garage sale that had a funky reticle. Worked well, the reticle just seemed a little wonky. I sent it back to Nikon and they no longer carried the parts to fix that one, so they sent me an upgraded newer model...it's hard to beat service like that.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This probably won’t be a well received comment, but if you buy a scope based on the company having a good warranty, it’s more than likely not a very good scope (and THEY know it). For the record though, I do realize crap happens, and a warranty is good to have.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 on my 300 win mag and my 375 Cheytac. They have the EBR-2C MRAD reticle. They are amazing scopes but they are heavy. I have a Swarovski Z6i on my 7mm mag. It’s a 2.5-15x56 with the 4w reticle and ballistic turret which you can set 3 different stops for your yardage’s for your particular cartridge. On my Surgeon 6.5 Creedmoor I have a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 and it is a great optic for the money. Tracks perfectly. I run a Zeiss Terra with their ballistic reticle on my 243 WSSM AR. And I run several Trijicon’s on my 6.5 Grendel AR’s. The 2.5-10x56 with the mil dots is perfect for the Grendel cartridge. The way the dots line up when you do a 200 yard zero is just awesome. I run almost all Leupold VX3’s on the rest of my hunting rifles. I like to spend money on glass. I’ve never been disappointed when spending more on scopes. Lots of great ones out there these days.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 on my 300 win mag and my 375 Cheytac. They have the EBR-2C MRAD reticle. They are amazing scopes but they are heavy. I have a Swarovski Z6i on my 7mm mag. It’s a 2.5-15x56 with the 4w reticle and ballistic turret which you can set 3 different stops for your yardage’s for your particular cartridge. On my Surgeon 6.5 Creedmoor I have a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50 and it is a great optic for the money. Tracks perfectly. I run a Zeiss Terra with their ballistic reticle on my 243 WSSM AR. And I run several Trijicon’s on my 6.5 Grendel AR’s. The 2.5-10x56 with the mil dots is perfect for the Grendel cartridge. The way the dots line up when you do a 200 yard zero is just awesome. I run almost all Leupold VX3’s on the rest of my hunting rifles. I like to spend money on glass. I’ve never been disappointed when spending more on scopes. Lots of great ones out there these days.

Adopt me.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried about everything. My choice is older Kahles. Swarovski x5 swaro z6 Zeiss conquest niggtforce nxs and Burris xtreme and like the op love the value of the fulfield line.

The kahles are the best I’ve found in clarity and light gathering. Even a 1” tube. Swarovski is a close second. I like the robust features and have the outdoorsmans in Phoenix build my turrets for them. Zeiss conquest z600 retical is similar to Burris wit the addition of the number 4 5 6 on the lower lines. If I’m going to dial which I do when going longer I prefer the Burris’s xtreme for edge to edge clarity and like the feel and audible clicks when adjusting. Older NF nxs are great as well.

Vortex just aren’t that sharp optically to me. That coupled with the fact your going to use their warranty.... eventually eliminate them for me.

Leupold just gives up to much for me in low light gathering.

The Burris fullfield are good I do notice some cram Aric adberation but for the price point durability and warranty I find myself using them. A kahles they aren’t but optically I’d challenge any vx1-3 against one. The vx4-6 edge them out in color but not much else. Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been chasing which optic(s) I want to run for (best bang for the buck type searching) a while and because of that have ended up with a little bit of everything. I haven't ventured into top-tier optics and haven't really settled on one reticle (other than preference towards mil/mil). I picked up a couple Bushnell LRHSi through GAP and haven't taken them out to the range but have been impressed so far and am planning on using them on 6.5 grendel builds. I picked up an Athlon Cronus BTR and now can't decide if I want that on a 300WM or 6.5CM or if I want to save up for another one (I was pleasantly surprised by the Cronus). I have a couple Athlon Midas BTRs and between those and the Cronus I have really been drawn to the Christmas tree style reticles. I have a Bushnell DMR in mil-dot that I think needs to move along and I'd be happy to replace it with another DMR with the G2 reticle.

I don't know how I feel about FFP vs SFP and when I'd prefer one over the other (or if I'd ever prefer one over the other) since, until recently, I've only ever used SFP scopes.

I start my kids with simple cross-hair reticles, Sig tango3s or SWFA or Vortex Crossfire scopes. I want them to focus on all the other aspects of shooting a rifle without thinking about anything besides put the cross-hairs on the target.

Still can't bring myself to even consider Nightforce, Kahles, Schmidt, March, or any of the other top tier players (yet).

Latest posts

Top Bottom