Options for Bigger Screen on existing back up camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My truck has a back up camera that has the display in the rear view mirror. It's tiny...like too tiny for any real purpose. So, I've been thinking of getting a bigger screen somehow.

I believe there are basically three options. One is to replace the radio system with an aftermarket in-dash dvd system that includes a hookup for camera. That is probably the "cleanest" approach. If I want to add GPS, the price skyrockets (or so it seems).

Another option is to get a standalone system where a screen and additional backup camera is added (like those for the license plate). This screen would fit somewhere up on top of the dash.

A third option is to get a standalone GPS unit that has back up camera capability. That way I can get GPS into the vehicle, but most of the time my Phone's GPS with google maps has been sufficient.

So, what say you for those that have two cents to share? Any recommendations?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My in dash back up camera is awesome, but we are looking at some wireless models to have/use on our RV that we tow. We wouldn't need GPS on it though. If google maps(what we use) is working for you, save the money on the gps and get a better video quality camera with it.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an add on without much clutter system somewhere recently, might have been in an auto parts store. Flip down your sun visor and the screen was there, flip it up and it is out of the way. The screen was decent size and really thin. Turned off in the flip up mode.

Good Luck to You.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all gave me some good ideas. Thanks the tip on tulsa 12 volt. His website was pretty cool. I'll have to check with him eventually too.

I like all the visibility I can get since I hook up trailers on my own most of the time. And I am also watching for the little rugrats that can be around me or behind too.

I currently have an iPhone and I was intrigued with the idea of syncing it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom