Optometrist who is an archer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Morning fella's, got back into archery last year and next year going to try and shoot more..... don't see rifle reloading supplies prices going down here in the near future :( anyway I'm getting older and they eyes just ain't what they used to be! thought I'd ask if there are any optometrist who shoot archery around the Okc area anyone knows of they could point me too?

Thanks and have a great day.

Kirk

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think any optometrist could probably help. :anyone:
I am guessing his concern is similar to the ones I shared with my optometrist when asking about laser correction. I explained to him that I would need guarantees that my ability to gauge movement in a 3D space for bird hunting and racing was imperative. My concerns stemmed from hearing people say their correction was done in a way to use one eye for reading distances and the other eye for distance vision. I need full function of my binocular vision or I am not interested in the correction.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would think any of them could help but just gonna say most can't. Problem I have is I wear glasses and am trying to shoot a magnified lens.... what I run into is I can get a awesome image of the target but can't see the pin or can see the pin and not the target just trying to find someone with archery knowledge who get's it sorta lol

Haven't looked into the laser correction or lens replacement just yet as those choices tend to get a bit deeper in the pocket than glasses :-O BUT they are on my to check on list for sure!

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would think any of them could help but just gonna say most can't. Problem I have is I wear glasses and am trying to shoot a magnified lens.... what I run into is I can get a awesome image of the target but can't see the pin or can see the pin and not the target just trying to find someone with archery knowledge who get's it sorta lol

Haven't looked into the laser correction or lens replacement just yet as those choices tend to get a bit deeper in the pocket than glasses :-O BUT they are on my to check on list for sure!
I was told they want to see you have at least a couple of years in corrective lenses so they can monitor how stable your prescription is before advising any laser correction.

That is definitely a specific scenario, but I would think a good optometrist could understand the requirements of that scenario. I do not have an optometrist that I am excited enough about to recommend. He is fine, but I return because it is who the rest of the family sees and we align our checkups on the same day every year.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My old Optometrist was a shooter so he had me squared up for rifle, pistol, shotgun but he retired before I picked archery back up, they guy I've been using since is good but when you hit him with specialized stuff he's good enough to say he doesn't understand as he has no knowledge of the activity but after fighting it last years 3D season I'd like to be able to be a touch more competitive so to hit a little dot ya gotta be able to see it! while I can see it when I draw back and you add in a peep, pins, lens, and seeing a target ring things go North real quick! hate to admit I'm just getting old but I'm still hopeful.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
From you're describing lens replacement will take care of all that. Otherwise no matter the correction for the distance vision, you'll need or will need readers still. I had lasek in 2009, just started needing readers. Lens replacement was still just for the glaucoma folks then iirc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom