"Or best offer"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe he is referring to me. I've only had my item listed for one day.

what is someone offers me more than your offer? I may be willing to accept less than the asking price in a week. I didn't know OBO meant I had to accept your offer.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No skin off my back, I just dont understand stating in the ad that you'll negotiate, then "negotiating" down 2 cents. If you're firm, or selling as a dealer, list it as such up front so people dont waste their time.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had it been in the dealer postings section, advertised as such, I would have never contacted them or made an offer even if the ad says OBO.

Live and learn I suppose. The search continues.

because it is not new, Like I said it was mine for one of my guns. I ordered it and took it out of the package played with it and decided I can't use it for my handgun.

MAP allowed by the manufacturer is $229.99 I listed mine for $200 obo. I am pretty sure I will get $200 for it. If not I may accept the best offer at a later time. That's how the free market works. the guy on GB listing them for less that I am asking for my personal non new site is very likely to get his dealership yanked. Just FYI

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always understood OBO to be an invitation to negotiate. But if you go back and forth and settle on a price, then i also expect that deal to be honored and not to be told later that you sold it to someone else for a better price. I don't begrudge getting the best deal you can, but if you already agreed to sell it to someone then you should honor that deal above getting a better offer later.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always understood OBO to be an invitation to negotiate. But if you go back and forth and settle on a price, then i also expect that deal to be honored and not to be told later that you sold it to someone else for a better price. I don't begrudge getting the best deal you can, but if you already agreed to sell it to someone then you should honor that deal above getting a better offer later.
I 100% agree with this statement.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He wasnt "OFF" for new shipped prices, but I dont know why a dealer is posing as an individual and trying to get shipped prices for a face to face transaction.

$200 OBO in the add
$189.99+9.99 shipping on Gunbroker

His new counter is $199.98 face to face for something that is advertised as a part thats a leftover.
And don't forget you probably gotta drive to get it!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get tickled about that too. Anytime someone says that, I ask what is the best offer. It's kind of like the guy that give you a quote on work and they say they can do it for 3 or 4 hundred dollars....Well which is it?
Well that's my 2 cents (or best offer)

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I typically respond with something like, "Thanks for the offer. I can't accept it at the moment, but if I don't get a better offer we can talk about further negotiation then. Hows does that sound?"

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find it ironic when a seller says, Asking $800.00. He's asking but what will he take cash?

As an occasional seller, I don't know that I use the word "asking" but if I did it would mean the same thing as posting a for sale price.

I am asking for that amount to be paid to me to sell you that gun.

"Asking" does, to most buyers, have a connotation of "I am asking that but might take less."

Sometimes the seller "asking" for a certain amount (or even if they list a price) doesn't know what they would be willing to sell the gun for until they get a real buyer making an offer to purchase at a firm price.

Cash and timing can be very strong influences!

Latest posts

Top Bottom