"Or best offer"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, and me alone, OBO in an offer to sell means I will take the best offer to me no matter if it's above or below the asking price.
I'll admit to getting into a bidding war in the past where I wanted the item and the price went over the asking price. Other times, I've turned it down.
If I've been told, "I'll take it", and an offer comes in later for more money, the "I'll take it" gets the item. Once I commit to a sale, it's done.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, and me alone, OBO in an offer to sell means I will take the best offer to me no matter if it's above or below the asking price.
I'll admit to getting into a bidding war in the past where I wanted the item and the price went over the asking price. Other times, I've turned it down.
If I've been told, "I'll take it", and an offer comes in later for more money, the "I'll take it" gets the item. Once I commit to a sale, it's done.
I agree. A deal is a deal. I've never understood why sellers put OBO in an ad with no real intention of taking an offer.

When I first joined this forum years ago I placed a WTB post. A member sent an offer by PM that was a little higher than the going price for said firearm with "OBO". I checked his feedback which was full of glowing reviews and replied with an offer $50 lower but right at the going rate. He declined, so I offered the max I would give which was $25 more. $25 less that his asking price. He replied indignant that I was low balling him. He obviously had no intention of accepting an offer.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1.wp.com_thisvsthatshow.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_05_beer_gb91b280e408006aa18f217870ced7fb8.jpg

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For people that buy and sell a lot, OBO means that the price is negotiable. Putting OBO in an ad and not going down on the price at all(assuming the first offer wasn't a lowball), is ignorant and misleading. Either put FIRM, leave it alone and possibly negotiate later, or put OBO and be prepared to negotiate. I don't put OBO on any of my listings on ebay or craigslist because it just invites lowball offers and idiots that try to justify the price to their advantage. If items have sold for a certain amount, great, someone got a deal, but if there is currently no competition I will price my item/s as I see fit.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For people that buy and sell a lot, OBO means that the price is negotiable. Putting OBO in an ad and not going down on the price at all(assuming the first offer wasn't a lowball), is ignorant and misleading. Either put FIRM, leave it alone and possibly negotiate later, or put OBO and be prepared to negotiate. I don't put OBO on any of my listings on ebay or craigslist because it just invites lowball offers and idiots that try to justify the price to their advantage. If items have sold for a certain amount, great, someone got a deal, but if there is currently no competition I will price my item/s as I see fit.

Yep. Doesn't get any more complicated than this for me.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When an ad is placed and it says asking so much and I take it as they are asking and will negotiate. But that is not always true, sometimes they won't dicker.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year, I was going to buy a 2 year old Tahoe from a lady in Choctaw. She had her asking price, which was middle retail, I offered High Trade in value, about a 2K difference. I figured we would negotiate from that point. She got her feelings hurt, got mad, and said "it is not for sell to you, ever." I figure that there are people that go to a car lot, ask how much, and pay it. I got a good laugh out of it, told a couple of friends, talked to my students about horse trading, and TR's Square Deal. Then I went and found a dealer that would sell me a new Tahoe into their hold back money.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When an ad is placed and it says asking so much and I take it as they are asking and will negotiate. But that is not always true, sometimes they won't dicker.

When I quote a price, that's usually what I'll take. If I wanted to negotiate I'd say best offer. Personally, I just don't like wasting the time of the back and forth. If you wait long enough on a reasonably priced item, it will sell or trade for what you're looking for.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I usually don't put OBO (or best offer) in an ad, unless I'm desperate to sell. Then I'll usually have a deadline, ie, must sell by this weekend, will take best offer by then. Otherwise, I assume when I price something that there is a little negotiation room; OR, I will decide what is the minimum I'm willing to take and say FIRM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom