Orbea parkerized 38 Largo revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not fake, not uncommon, just a crappy Spanish copy of a S&W K frame. I wouldn't have paid $59.99 for it so you were wise to steer clear at $599.
I was not in the market for anything, it just caught my eye. I would never buy any gun I couldn't shoot. I would not want to shoot that one.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have fired some. They are not that bad if the timing is OK. They make great little guns. Cheap, disposable, the kind of gun you might find on a thugs body.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, no pictures of the actual gun.

I stopped in at Sooner State today. The one on 23rd west of Portland. My first time in the store just browsing through the handguns because I didn't have but a few minutes.

I saw what I thought was a parkerized S&W model 10, with a 5 inch barrel. It had S&W target grips like a Model 19. I asked, "Is that a parkerized Model 10?"
The clerk came over and I pointed out the gun. He pulled it out and broke open the cylinder and there was no model number on the frame. We both looked over the gun. I noticed the grips did not fit the bottom of the frame and stuck out over it about a quarter of an inch. I then saw the '38 Largo' on the barrel and said we either have a really old Smith or another make and model. I noticed it was missing a screw on the right side top next to the cylinder. Both of us were ignoring the paper tag which plainly said "Orbea", which meant nothing to either one of us. :anyone:

He then looked at the frame where a Smith would have Marcas Registradas. and it was marked Mallabia Spain. I said, "Well, it looks like we both learned something today." I thanked him for the look and left. I glanced at the tag and didn't really pay any attention to the price but I'm guessing it was $599?

I did find some pictures online.

View attachment 289472
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbea
View attachment 289473

I will go in again this week and get better pictures and a price. It is in a lot better shape than the one in the above pictures.

I just thought it was interesting. and it stuck out like a sore thumb being parkerized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbea
I was in that pawn shop about a week ago. What really caught my eye was sitting on the shelf by the rifles. There was an old 1942 Webley flare gun pistol. Looked like the thing would shoot a 40 mm grenade

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you guys crack me up. .lol.. think if it isn't colt or s&w it shouldn't be used as a door stop. actually, orbea was(is) one of the most prolific gun manufacturers in the world. still in business making bicycles and is one of the oldest manufacturers in the world. the gun indeed is an OUTWARD copy of a s&w internals are different. as noted, while it appears to be a smith it's really different as grips and things won't fit. LARGO in Spanish means long. this particular gun is for 38 largo or 38 long. it's a black powder cartridge and this pistol is actually a very good gun if shot with the proper ammo. south American countries used black long after the US nearly exclusively switched to smokeless powder. remember the colts the army used were this identical cartridge until it was determined it was underpowered (even though its been noted several times instances of it shooting completely through a adversary) this gun if in good shape is perfectly safe when used with the ammo it was designed for. but they got a bad reputation here when people shot them loose with smokeless loads. by the way, if you own a star that's marked 9mm largo/38 that's 38 ACP another browning designed round that the Spanish loved. this pistol SHOULD NOT fire 9mm largo ammo!!!! 9mm largo as commercially loaded is nearly identical to 9mm luger and is way too hot. once again 9mm largo meaning 9 mm long. sorry for the late post by the way..

Latest posts

Top Bottom