Oregon attorney general issues ballot title for initiative to ban sales of assault weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/05/oregon_attorney_general_issues.html
By Hillary Borrud

[email protected]

The Oregonian/OregonLive

Oregon's attorney general on Wednesday released a certified ballot title for an initiative to ban the sale of high-capacity magazines and a broad range of semiautomatic pistols, rifles and shotguns.

The initiative also would require most existing owners of these weapons to pass criminal background checks and register with the state in order to keep them. Failure to do so would be a Class B felony.

The new ballot title for Initiative Petition 43 reads: "Prohibits 'Assault Weapons' (Defined), 'Large Capacity Magazines' (Defined), Unless Registered With State Police. Criminal Penalties."

The measure's opponents could still appeal to the Oregon Supreme Court to force changes to the title. Portland-area clergy are leading the effort to gather the 88,184 signatures needed by July 6 to get it on the November ballot.

The ballot initiative would ban the manufacture and sale of magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, and firearms classified as assault weapons in Oregon starting in 2019. It would define assault weapons as certain semiautomatic rifles and pistols that can accommodate detachable magazines and have other military-style features, such as a collapsible stock or grenade launcher, plus some semiautomatic shotguns. Military and law enforcement employees who are required to carry firearms would be exempt, as would retailers and manufacturers who supply those agencies. Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum's office released a draft ballot title in April.

(More at the link)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Another case of why we can't have nice stuff. As many have noted recently, it's all about "control" and only tangentially about "guns." This certainly bears watching.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not surprised. That's Lib-land up there. I was traveling for work during the Trump/Clinton election and I happened to be teamed up with a guy from Oregon. We spent a lot of windshield time together so I knew which way he leaned. I kept my opinions to myself and never engaged in any political conversations. The morning after the election he was flipping out and was trying to get me on the "Trump Sucks" bandwagon. I just said "I'm so glad he won." and the rest of the trip was quiet. I bet that dude didn't say two words to me the whole day.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Oregon's constitution and initiative procedures, but I suspect the AG had no choice; when presented with whatever the constitution requires to get something on the ballot, the AG has to comply. It's no different than a shall-issue carry permit: if the boxes are checked, the permit (or ballot title) shall issue forth. Don't blame the AG for that--in fact, the time to be upset would be if the AG refused to issue a ballot title for a proper application.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never could figure out why people in such a beautiful part of the country are so friggen loony. Same on both coastal areas, PNW and New England. Maybe it's something to do with the salt water.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's my understanding that it's mostly a city thing; the rural areas tend to be a lot more sane. Coasts tend to produce large cities, though, because of the trade value of being on a coast; the international trade value of, say, Omaha just isn't there--there's no significant shipping, nor any economically-viable prospect for it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I lived up there in Oregon (near Grants Pass) for 17 months. I'd have to say that Dave is correct in that the majority of the liberals are in Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Most of the people that we interacted with while we were there were pretty conservative.

Here is a map of the 2016 election based on county voting instead of coloring a whole state blue or red. Note the amount of area in Oregon that is red.

1280px-United_States_presidential_election_results_by_county,_2016.svg.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. OK and West Virginia are the only two completely red states.

Or did I miss something?

Nope. Back in 2000, the only two states where all counties voted Republican were Oklahoma and Utah. 2004, it was Oklahoma and Alaska if I remember right. Since then, I've not kept up with all of the states that joined Oklahoma in having all counties do that. That is why I have been saying for quite some time that Oklahoma is the reddest of the red states.

Latest posts

Top Bottom