Oregon SB 501---Among other things it limits ammo acquisitons to only 20 rounds per month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well.. the whole darned place has changed so much since I graduated HS, that now I think its a police state being being led by communists. I grew up in Central Ks. and drove to school with 2 rifles hanging on the rack and a shotgun behind the seat. All 3 loaded. Guess how many times I got stopped and harassed by a badged person? Zero!! Was pull over by a State Trooper once, at night, and he never even mentioned the firearms.

Do that today and your weapons will be confiscated, you will be locked up and charged.
"This used to be one helluva country" - George Hanson

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Inside Oregon’s Insane New Gun Control Proposals | 5 Round Mags, 20 Rounds Per Month
Matt Christiansen
Published on Jan 30, 2019

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20 rounds per month? Hell I carried more than just today! Not to mention a light day at the range is roughly 200 rounds and weather permitting I try to go once a week.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I should have read the article but thought I might take a short cut and just post from the comments.

Let's see, I am 71yo x 12 months in a year x 20 rounds = 73,840 rounds / purchase. I guess I could live with that.

Something about my tong-in-cheek remark being closer what should be reality than reality is --- is just not right. Ya Know? Guess they are basing the "need" off of what some of their law enforcement officers use.

Definitely not bashing the LEO members here, I hope if I am ever in trouble or I guess I should say causing trouble also, one or more of you with level heads and abilities show up to help out if needed.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you read that ?
You must have completed a firearms safety course and if you have a criminal conviction you are out.

Now explain criminal conviction.
That is a pretty broad term and can include speeding at certain speeds, reckless driving and many other things.

They could basically strip the rights of a whole lot of people.
How far do they want to reach is what it boils down to.

It boils down to total dependence on government supported by servitude to the state. Nothing else fits the end of the means.

Woody

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is to stop Oregon residents from crossing state lines to buy ammo? It doesn't sound like this law would do anything except eliminate revenue for state and local businesses, and of course make purchasing ammo inconvenient but not impossible. Am I missing something?

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is to stop Oregon residents from crossing state lines to buy ammo? It doesn't sound like this law would do anything except eliminate revenue for state and local businesses, and of course make purchasing ammo inconvenient but not impossible. Am I missing something?

The bill is written that a person may not receive more than 20 rounds in a 30 day period. It says nothing about where they receive it from, so out of state purchases over that 20 round limit are illegal as well. The only stipulation is that ranges can sell ammo to be used at the range only.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bill is written that a person may not receive more than 20 rounds in a 30 day period. It says nothing about where they receive it from, so out of state purchases over that 20 round limit are illegal as well. The only stipulation is that ranges can sell ammo to be used at the range only.

Ah, gotcha. But that raises more questions...

Is it possession of more than 20 rounds, or acquiring more than 20 rounds at a time? All I have read is acquiring... which if so is it enforceable? How can the state of Oregon regulate what happens outside of its jurisdiction?

It seems to me like if I went to Texas and drove on their turnpike with the 85 mph speed limit at 85 mph, and OHP pulled me over as I crossed back into Oklahoma and wrote me a speeding ticket because Oklahoma residents aren't allowed to drive that fast. Does that make sense?

If it's possession then I guess you just cite anyone with more than 20 rounds in their possession, but I haven't heard it described that way so far. If possession of more than 20 rounds is legal, and you LEGALLY purchased more according to the laws where you purchased it, I really don't see how Oregon could prosecute that.

What a mess this would be. Not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand how this is supposed to work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom